FX1 short film shoot! Heath and Jon! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 21st, 2004, 12:48 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

FX1 short film shoot! Heath and Jon!

Jon Fordham is DP-ing a short film I'm directing this Sunday in West Palm Beach, Florida with the FX1!

We're doing a romantic comedy called THE AQUARISTS (my first romantic comedy after years of crime and relationship dramas), and we'll have the footage and clips up on HDV Info soon enough.

For more information on Jon and I, check out our IMdB listings here:

Heath McKnight

Jon Fordham

More soon!

heath
Old December 25th, 2004, 02:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Last time after reading Jon's review on the HD10, I decided that it was not the camera for me. Hope this time the FX1 will come out favourably.

I really appreciate his unbiased view.
Maheel Perera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #3
Major Player

You're shooting this project in CineFrame 24 mode? What is the rationale behind that? I thought that Cineframe 25 was the only viable option to get back to 24 fps. What is your planned workflow through final output? Are you going to offline in DV, then online back to HDV at some point?
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

I had a great time today shooting, but we ended up not doing my film The Aquarists, mostly because of the extremely windy weather today (at 5 am, I thought it was a hurricane after going through two of them, albeit a small one). So I put together a 3 page script whose name, TRES HERMANAS, will be changing since it's an English film about American sisters (hey, it was 5 am when I came up with the idea!). It's actually a prequel to my next feature film 9:04 AM featuring three sisters in the movie. One of the actresses is contracted, the other two were potential candidates.

Jon will have an in-depth review of the FX1 and the shoot, but overall, I'm happy with what we got. I'll have some stuff over the coming days, though I must warn you all I'm working four 12 hour days in a row teaching and working freelance. I'll also have still images of the tests Jon did with the FX1 and DVX100A using one of those camera charts with the circles on it (man, my mind is drawing blanks here).

I'm off to a day-after-Christmas party, so I'll talk to y'all later!

heath
Old December 26th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Scott,

To answer your question, yes, we shot it in CineFrame 24, and I feel when the camera is doing smooth moves on the tripod, there isn't a lot of rapid moves with the camera (very little films actually do, with the exception of Blair Witch and some others), CineFrame 24 is nice. I'm going to capture the footage via Lumiere HD's new software and convert it, etc., to an HD form FCP can use and then open up CineTools and import it and do a reverse telecine and report my findings and post clips, images, etc.

heath
Old December 27th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

wait...

you are a film school teacher and you are saying very few films employ rapid moves with the camera? Your example of one was...blair witch?

Evan Estay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Major Player

check out Heath's feature film...

well, hey, Evan - check out Heath's feature film, Skye Falling at www.skyefalling.com...
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I dont really know what that has to do with what I mentioned...but ok
Evan Estay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:19 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

A good 60% of it was handheld! <g> But not too shakey, not quick-pans and -tilts, etc. I feel my XL-1 would've looked bad if I had done that stuff.

BTW, see the trailer here.

heath
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #10
Wrangler

Bourne Supremacy, anyone?
Old December 28th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

Exactly, Charles! Aside from Skye Falling and Push/Pull, two quasi-dogme 95 films I directed, I'm doing less hand held work, less dogme 95 work. I am embracing the tripod and Steadicam/Glidecam V-16 more now! <g>

heath
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #12
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : Bourne Supremacy, anyone? -->>>

I absolutely hated the camera work in that movie. While it might be the anti-Gladiator look, it was awful. Zoomed in too far, 8 or 12 fps with massive motion blur, shaking all around. I guess it makes it easy to film a fight scene, nobody is going to notice if the punchs don't connect. If you go to this movie, sit far away from the screen or expect a headache.

///d@
posting my own personal opinion :)
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #13
Major Player

I concur...

Quote:
absolutely hated the camera work in that movie. While it might be the anti-Gladiator look, it was awful. Zoomed in too far, 8 or 12 fps with massive motion blur, shaking all around. I guess it makes it easy to film a fight scene, nobody is going to notice if the punchs don't connect. If you go to this movie, sit far away from the screen or expect a headache.
Absolutely agree.... :(

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #14
Wrangler

Headache or worse. I had to close my eyes a few times. My girlfriend was motion-sick all night. Ugh.
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

We're getting a little off subject, but I will say when my fiancee and I watched 13, I got "sea sick" within the first 5 minutes and shut it off. She was fine, though.

And NO crazy shooting in this film Jon and I did!!!! <g>

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1