Two low-light frame grabs... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 5th, 2005, 12:02 AM   #31
Trustee

If I have one disappointment in the FX1, and this sounds silly, it is the composite output to a hotel TV.

Not too good. Not as good as my old Canon ZR10.

I only need it to check out the days footage, but it just isn't that great.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #32
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Gotz : I am willing to bet that the camcorder will downconvert better than Premiere Pro could ever do. -->>>

that’s exactly what i found using the camcorder to downcovert is the best bet, try it and see.

actually i have used both AspectHd and CapDVHS to capture and import from there into the Ppro timeline then creating a Sd 4x3 720x480 @ 29.97fps project and selecting "scale clips to project dimensions when adding to sequence" option to get the letter box effect. but that creates a duller and more pixilation look,
compared to using the; HDV>DV Conversion Selecting 4x3 TV in the selections menu on the HDR-FX1. Doing that will automatically downcovert from the camera to 4x3 Letterbox!!! And it looks very impressive.

joel

so Steven do you got rocks in your head as well?
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #33
Major Player

For my setup, I found that using the component output 480i and captured it into my Velocity Q uncompressed has much better quality than the dv output but then I don't have timecode. )-:, but the dv out is still better than stuff that I shot with DSR300 so I can't complaint.
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #34
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Gotz :
That said, many people have Media Center PCs attached to their HDTVs. I would rather just burn a DVD-ROM and use the AVel Linkplayer2 that I have ordered. It is limited to 720 instead of 1080, but I'll live. -->>>

Actually, it turns out the AVeL LinkPlayer2 *DOES* support native 1080i60 TS streams now. I have one.

And guess who just announced a new networked media player for the Japanese market, using the same Sigma Designs EM8620L media processor as in the AVel LinkPlayer2? SONY! They have even pictured it with a FX1.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #35
Trustee

Tom,

Interesting news. Thanks. Mine won't arrive until Friday. But can it put out a 1080i WM9 file? I don't see myself using a the transport stream. Just WM9 after editing.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #36
Trustee

Steve, I cannot confirm WMV9 at 1080i. I can confirm WMV9 at 720p-only, from personal experience. And WMA9 5.1 Pro audio is not supported yet, nor is DRM (digital rights management) currently supported, although it is stated to be scheduled for an enabling firmware update in January.

What I can confirm is that people are getting mpeg2 playback from 1080i sourced from MyHD capture cards and HD-TiVo.

Mitsuo Jack Akita of I-O Data has said that by installing the Advanced Link Server software (download free from the I-O Data website), you can stream ts over the network.

I personally have not had success playing back ts from my JVC HD1 either streamed over the network or played from a burned DVD data disk, but I have not installed the Advanced Link Server either.

What I do know, is that I can use VLC (freeware) or Womble Mpeg Video Wizard (not freeware) to strip the TS container, and losslessly transcode 100% stream copy with no re-encoding, to mpeg2 program stream 1280x720 29.97 fps 18.5 mb/s, and these native streams play back wonderfully over the network, or played back from a burned DVD data disk.

Not to hijack the thread (sorry), but 1080i ts or mpeg2ps is definitely supported, and 1080i WMV9 is possibly supported.

There's a huge thread going on over at AVSForum in the DVD players topics about the AVLP2. But to summarize, it far exceeds the stated playback specifications on many levels. In the beginning, we feared because the specs called for max data rate of 10 mb/s for mpg and 8 mb/s for WMV9, but what we have learned is the bandwidth far exceeds those limitations, and people are getting native 1920x1080 60i playback from HDTV capture cards and TiVo boxes. Hope that helps.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #37
Major Player

opps
Joel Corral is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1