Found a "bug" in the zoom system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 05:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Found a "bug" in the zoom system

I supppose maybe it's not a real bug, but a loophole in the self-calibration system of the zoom ring.

It appears that the zoom is not permanently calibrated at the factory, but calibrates itself each time the camera is switched on.

The "ring" and the "lever" action can be misaligned. I can replicate this behaviour easily, I wonder if anyone else can?

Switch the camera on, set the zoom into "ring" mode, then put it about half-way in it's zoom-range. Switch the camera off. Switch it back on again, and then push the ring all the way up into full wide-zoom. Now, if you switch into "lever" mode, you'll find that you can pull back further still (at least I can) by a few degrees. If you toggle the mode switch back into "ring" mode, the camera "zooms-in" slightly.
This misalignment continues happening for as long as you like, until you do a full tele-zoom, and then it seems to correct itself.

When I first came across this, I became worried, and thought I had a dud zoom mechanism. But later I found that it self-corrects.
Garry Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

wow! I'll have to try that Garry....I'll let you know...
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Major Player

i understand that you have fx1 camera not z1? yes?

did anyone tryed this on demo z1?

just curious

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Wrangler

Although I don't own the FX-1, I don't believe this is a bug. In one of the Sony powerpoint presentations I saw, I'm pretty sure this fact was pointed out. If you switch from ring to rocker for zoom control, the zoom ring isn't servo linked to the rocker and therefore when you switch back to ring control, the ring will not correctly indicate your current zoom position.

I'll try to locate where I saw this and provide a link.

On another note, I PVR'd the 'Making of Dynasty' show on ABC. In the opening scenes, the limos are bringing the cast to a ceremony and of course there are fans and photogs lining the side of the road. One of the photogs is wielding none other than the Sony FX-1. Maybe this camera has been under development longer than we thought since this show takes place in the 80's. <VBG>

regards,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Interesting to say the least.

BTW, the Z1 isn't out yet, though I hear some 3rd party companies have some for developement of their stuff, like software, etc. Not sure whom, though...

You didn't hear? The FX1 prototype was first out in the 80s--it was then called the NW1, or the New Wave 1.

heath
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Boston : Although I don't own the FX-1, I don't believe this is a bug. In one of the Sony powerpoint presentations I saw, I'm pretty sure this fact was pointed out. If you switch from ring to rocker for zoom control, the zoom ring isn't servo linked to the rocker and therefore when you switch back to ring control, the ring will not correctly indicate your current zoom position.
=gb= -->>>

The FX-1 does realign zoom position when you switch from lever to ring mode.

However, I think there is some bug or calibration issue as mentioned earlier. Last week I was shooting a performance piece that required me to zoom in from a static wide shot. Two times in a row when I went to start the zoom using the ring I got a "jerk" type motion, where the zoom rapidly went in and then smoothly pulled back again to where I assume the ring actually was. The camera had been on for a few minutes each time and I am wondering if some sort of drift occured between when I set the shot up and when I used the ring.

I've tried to replicate the error back at the office with no luck.
Kaspar Stromme is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1