Confused about CF25 and shutter speed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 6th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #16
New Boot

I think Toke has a point.

So anyway, getting back to the original topic of this thread;

Is there a difference between CF25 and 1/25 shutter?
Garry Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

1/25 shutter looks like slow motion, sort of, with tons of motion blur that's really slow.

heath
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #18
Regular Crew

> Is there a difference between CF25 and 1/25 shutter?

Yes. In CF25 you can shoot with faster than 1/25 shutter. Otherwise, they look pretty similar to me.

///d@
Sony Media Software
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #19
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Nobody in Sony says that pd150/170 is a progressive camera. Nevertheless it records progressive frames with slow shutter.
Well, not really... it records one field, duplicated. It's still an interlaced image, but instead of getting information from both fields, it just uses one field and duplicates it.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hmmm.....If 1/25th second shutter speed only uses one field and duplicates (or interpolates) it, that would mean there's a theoretical 50% loss of resolution. The only way I can see of getting the filmlook cadence and still have full res is to use dvfilm deinterlacer or something else. Please tell me I'm wrong! ;)
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:52 PM   #21
New Boot

I don't know where you get your information from Barry, but you're so wrong!

I just filmed a still scene in HD, first at default settings (no cf, 1/50shutter), then with 1/25 shutter; then with CF25 and 1/25s, then with CF25 and 1/50s. I then viewed the TAPE on a hi-def plasma, and there was no discernable difference! (remember, this was a still scene, no motion).
There's no way that the camera drops 1 field, and just doubles the other! This would result in an image with less lines than standard DV. From what I see with my very own eyes, the camera has to recombine the 2 field scans to form a frame.

I think some people here are getting confused with progressive CCD scanning, and progressive images. The JVC cam for example, reads the CCD progressively, then records the progressive image to tape. The FX1 always reads the CCD in interlaced mode, BUT it then recombines the scans (in CF mode or slow shutter), and records the image to tape (which for all intents and purposes, is now *progressive*, though in the mpeg TS it may be tagged as interlaced).

Because the FX1 CCD is always read interlaced, there is always some drop in resolution (slight cross-talk between scan lines etc.) and that's why you never get 1080 lines of real optical resolution...

My 2c.
Garry Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #22
Barry Wan Kenobi

I wasn't talking about the FX1, that was in reference to the PD150. The PD150 doubles fields, the FX1 does not.

As for where I get my information, it's from first-hand scientific testing. Shoot a resolution chart and you'll see that the FX1 loses about 200 lines when going to CF30 mode (and presumably when going to CF25 mode). Which is nowhere near half... in interlaced it does about 775 lines, in CF30 it does about 575.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Is it possible to set the shutter speed somewhere between 50 and 25 fps?
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 03:29 AM   #24
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Garry Matthews: I just filmed a still scene in HD, first at default settings (no cf, 1/50shutter), then with 1/25 shutter; then with CF25 and 1/25s, then with CF25 and 1/50s. I then viewed the TAPE on a hi-def plasma, and there was no discernable difference! (remember, this was a still scene, no motion).
There's no way that the camera drops 1 field, and just doubles the other! This would result in an image with less lines than standard DV. From what I see with my very own eyes, the camera has to recombine the 2 field scans to form a frame.
The FX1 always reads the CCD in interlaced mode, BUT it then recombines the scans (in CF mode or slow shutter)... -->>>

Sorry, but this might be possible with 1/25, if there is no readout time from ccd or the actual exposure time is little less than 1/25 s.
Then again, it is impossible with eg. 1/12, because exposing one field takes longer than recording the whole frame, so there is absolutely no time for exposing and reading the second field.

_Ooorr_, would the camera use a frame buffer with 1/12 where it would blend two frames each having the other fields? This way it could have full resolution with slow shutter and still be interlaced.
I just wonder why they didn't introduce this buffer technique before if they now use it...

I'm used to use slow shutter with low light situations with sony's dv cameras and because the sensivity of fx1, it would be very useful to use slow shutters with it also, especially if it doesn't halve the resolution.
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1