72mm Vs. 58mm Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 4th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #1
Major Player

72mm Vs. 58mm Lens

Sorry for the novice sounding question but is a 72mm lens, for instance the one on my HDR-FX1 at 12x zoom Equivalent to, Greater than or Less than (meaning zoom distance) than my 58mm Canon Gl2 at 12x (the Gl2 can Zoom To 20x but hypothetically speaking @ 12x for comparison). I would think that the 72mm at 12x would zoom in closer than a 58mm at 12x. am I not correct? If so what is the equation if there is one.

thanks

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Major Player

The diameter of the lens has nothing to do with the focal length. A 50mm lens projected on a 1/3 inch chip will have the same field of view and focal length whether it have a 32mm diameter or 132mm diameter. The only thing that will change your filed of view would be the sive of the sensor that it is being projected on. Therefore, if you have a 1/3 in chip it is a telephoto field of view, whereas a 50mm lens on a medium format camera will be slightly wide angle.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Right -- you have to compare focal length, and the field of view at that focal length, which is dependent on chip size. You can't just directly compare them because the FX1 is a 1/3" chip, and the GL2 is a 1/4" chip.

At any given equal focal length, the GL2 would look more "telephoto" than the FX1 would, because of the chip size.

The FX1 at 12x zoom would have about the same field of view as the GL2 lens at 10x zoom.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #4
Major Player

thank you for making that clear to me.

damn i really need a telephoto lens that isn't 1,000 bucks!!!

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1