Jon Fordham's HDR-FX1 Review - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 11th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #61
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : I'm re-capturing some clips and will re-do the stills soon.

hwm -->>>

Where are they? are they posted somewhere, I can't find a link anywhere.. Thanks!
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #62
Obstreperous Rex

They're not up yet, Mike -- I'll have Jon's review posted on the site very soon, w/Heath's photos as soon as I get 'em.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Monitor is everything

This is an account of my experinces with the two cameras. I own the DVX, but have only seen the footage of the FX1 (no in hand experience). Take it for what it's worth. I am a computer IT Engineer and video is my hobby.

As a person who has seen the FX1 and DVX blown up to film and viewed both cameras through the same 8045 monitor Jon used (450 Lines), a 145L HD 1080i monitor (800 Lines) and my personal Mitsu 55in 1080i CRT Rear Projection, this is NO comparison in picture quality. Granted, the latitude is not as strong, but neither is the noise in similar dark/contrasty environments, so this is a draw between the two IMO.

Raw picture quality in Resolution on the two high end monitors truely shows of the FX1's power. On the 8045, I could tell a difference, but it was subtle. Blow up to 35MM also is a night and day experience.

I don't want to pick a fight, but to view the FX1 on anything but a 800+ Resolution display device is just not a fair comparison. At 1080i it's stunning. I am really surprised u guys did not feel the same way on Heath's 34IN, but coming from viewing Varicam footage, I think you guys are spoiled. :) It works both ways too. If you have a crappy source feed and try to display on a top of line monitor, will the picture look good. Of course not. Is the high-end monitor then considered not up to snuff. Of course not.

I cannot shoot SD any longer, even given the added cost and inconviences the HDV format provides. To professionals, Resolution isn't everything, but the majority of the paying public is not as snobish as us and to them, the output of the FX1 is far superior.

I can distribute WM9HD footage on DVD that can be viewed on a $250 player (LinkPlayer) and soon to be HD-DVD or Blue-Ray players. The future is bright. My two cents
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1