DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Potential good new for future Z1 owners. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/37480-potential-good-new-future-z1-owners.html)

Christopher C. Murphy January 8th, 2005 10:41 AM

Potential good new for future Z1 owners.

Hey HDV'ers,

I've been reading on other sites (to many postings and sites to link - go fishing after you read this) that the Z1 has had "4 additional months of tweaks" since the FX1 was released. Apparently, there are more shutter speed options ("down to 1/25 in all modes" - something the FX1 apparently isn't able to do) that improve upon the 24fps issue. It's been posted elsewhere that the Z1's release is going to kill their PD line too. If that's true and Sony is ok with it...then Z1 has got to be a solid hunk of metal. I am really happy to hear about some tweaks as are others I'm sure!

I'm posting this because it's been the #1 topic of discussion everywhere I've been reading - the "film look" aspect of the FX1 being subpar. I've definately seen Z1 postings from people that actually *physically* have it now, so I thought it was a good time to open discussion.

We will probably know within days and/or weeks about the final tweaks...if anyone gets any information please post! I'm dying to get the latest factual news -- the Z1 is in the hands of people out there! I've been quiet, but it's so close I can taste it!!!!

Murph

Gary McClurg January 8th, 2005 11:21 AM

I haven't heard anymore about Sundance. But there was a rumor that Sony was going to unveil a film shot with the Z1.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything more about this rumor.

Tim Ashbrooke January 9th, 2005 05:35 AM

Ummm, I have the FX1E (PAL model) and i have 1/25th shutter speed......all the way down to 1/8th.......?

John Gaspain January 9th, 2005 07:44 AM

but you PAL doesnt have 24fps :)

Nick Hiltgen January 9th, 2005 01:55 PM

Murph I don't believe that 1/25 is an option in 60i mode

Betsy Moore January 10th, 2005 04:22 PM

Tim, may I ask where you got your Pal camera? I've been shopping around and the only place I found it stateside was B&H.

Nick Hiltgen January 11th, 2005 05:59 PM

Betsy I'm going to go out on a limb and bet that he purchased it somewhere near New South Whales in australia.

Betsy Moore January 11th, 2005 06:45 PM

Whoops, I never look at the towns anymore:) Oh, well, next time I'm in Australia...

Tim Ashbrooke January 12th, 2005 05:20 PM

Hi Betsy

Even tho I live in Australia, I bought my FX1E from Expandore Electronics in Singapore ( www.expandore.com ). I couldn't afford to get one in Australia. They were incredibly helpful and nice, and their price was unbeatable at the time I bought it. Got it via FedEx in a few days. Totally happy with the purchase - I heartily recommend them!!

cheers
Tim

Heath McKnight January 13th, 2005 12:55 PM

The Z1 will do PAL and NTSC, Betsy, which may be a very viable option for you. 25p goes to 24p very easily...

heath

Betsy Moore January 13th, 2005 02:50 PM

Great advice Tim and Heath.

Heath, it's not true 25p is it? The Z1 still has that funky frame mode, right (it's probably a moot point cuz it's out of my price range)?

Tim, I checked out the site, always a little nervous re: ordering overseas but 3450 is a good price for a PAL.

By the way, it's so exciting to be a Major Player now! When do the stock options kick in?

:)

Heath McKnight January 13th, 2005 03:16 PM

Whoops, I meant 25 fps, 50i. Sorry, it's interlaced, NOT progressive. No frame movie mode on the Sony, that's a Canon XL-1 thing. CineFrame is kind of like it, I think.

heath

Tim Ashbrooke January 13th, 2005 05:03 PM

Hi Betsy

I know what you mean. Ordering a product that expensive from overseas is very daunting!!
I felt very comfortable dealing with them. They advised me of every step they took and I could track the parcel via FedEx's online tracking. I am a very happy customer of theirs and will definately buy more gear off them in the future.

Heath McKnight January 13th, 2005 09:38 PM

Betsy,

I would STRONGLY recommend against buying overseas. I would also highly recommend purchasing from one of our sponsors.

heath

Chris Hurd January 14th, 2005 08:39 AM

Thanks, Heath, I'll second that. Pretty soon we'll have a U.S. source for PAL equipment as a site sponsor. I'll let ya'll know about that as soon as it happens.