How are you getting XLR's into FX1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 15th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #16
Major Player

ok so you think sony has 2 XLR's "Y " connected to minijack?
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #17
Inner Circle

No Sony doesn't have an XLR cable that I know of but they do have 1/8 to RCA with the correct 1/8" plug. IT is the plug that doesn't work. The Radio Shack version does not seat correctly in the Sony camera but the Sony does. That is all I was pointing out to you.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #18
Trustee

Fixing Sony FX1 1/8" input

Well, I was not aware there were some Radio Shack 1/8 connectors that were not standard size, which seems to be the case here.

My choice is always for Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors, preferably all metal types, which never failed on me. Their 1/8" plugs, mono or stereo, are great.

After this free commercial, let me say that there are other types you can use, but should be carefully tested. All-metal types are usually better, probably because they are more expensive and manufacturers more accurate. Most likely because these are OEM plugs and the same manufacturer does the parts in China for Switchcraft and Neutrik too.

In any case you should do things properly, and there are several options. In order from more important are:

1) 1/8" threaded plug to Y-cable with two XLR females. If you are not going to use the camera internal mic power, you should provide capacitors to block DC inside the XLR connectors.

2) 1/8" threaded plug to mono XLR female. Sony uses such an adaptor on their wireless mics, and B&H already stocks it. I am not sure if this cable is unbalanced or balanced. The FX1 has unbalanced inputs and maybe the Sony cable is balanced. The wires are there, so it's only a question of resoldering properly. A blocking DC capacitor should be provided too, as in 1.

These two are IMHO the best options, and EVERY FX1 owner should get a pair of these cables. Preferably option 1. Leave the stereo cable always plugged in and make cabled adaptors for plugging into the XLR females, which won't wear from plugging/unplugging. That's what I meant by forgetting about the 1/8" jack.

3) 1/8" standard plug (Neutrik or Switchcraft) to Y-cable with two XLR females. If you are not going to use the camera internal mic power, you should provide capacitors to block DC inside the XLR connectors.

4) 1/8" threaded plug (Neutrik or Switchcraft) to mono XLR female. If you are not going to use the camera internal mic power, you should provide a capacitor to block DC inside the XLR connectors.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1