How are you getting XLR's into FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 12th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #1
Major Player

How are you getting XLR's into FX1?

I have the FX1 and was wondering what people are using to get XLR inputs into the camera? I was looking at one of the Beachtek models....any recomendations?

I will only need it for basic wireless voice tracks, interviews etc. I know for best quality I should do double system but that isn't always possible...

So what is everyone using? And how does it sound?
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Paul,

I too have an FX1 and have bolted a Sign Video XLR Pro box on the bottom. I got it from Zotz in Oregan...

This gives excellent audio.. two XLR inputs plus two mini jack.
Volume controls as well as line/mic, mono/stereo and ground settings.

Very clean audio in a well made unit.

I have linked up an Audio Technica 897 mic on a dual hotshoe bracket.
Also I've used heavy duty velcro to attach a Senheiser remote transmitter to the battery for remote lav or boom audio.

The lot works very well indeed...

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

For my short film, I went with an XLR to 1/4 to 1/8 jack (simply because the XLR to 1/8 jack was sold out, so we had to buy the extra one). No problems there.

My friend bought 2 of this one from BeachTek for his two FX1's. They were pretty nice!

heath
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Trustee

Re: How are you getting XLR's into FX1?

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Frederick : I have the FX1 and was wondering what people are using to get XLR inputs into the camera? I was looking at one of the Beachtek models....any recomendations?

I will only need it for basic wireless voice tracks, interviews etc. I know for best quality I should do double system but that isn't always possible...

So what is everyone using? And how does it sound? -->>>

The most basic thing is you should first find a way to forget about the 1/8" original adapter.

So you have to fix that by using an adapter such as Beachtek's or a simple Y cable with two XLR females to plug your mics onto.

My advice is to do the latter, but I understand some filmmakers have to or prefer to do everything themselves.

Second best is to get an active preamp, like Beachtek's DXA-8, which will let you set your levels individually and has a simple limiter.

Third best is the DXA-6, which at least will power your pro phantom mics.

Fourth best is the DXA-2.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I use a Berhinger MXB1002 mixer. IF you always use on a tripod a small mixer is more flexible and lower cost option to the Beachtek type devices. Most mixers have several outputs and provide the ability to provide different mixes to these outputs.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Some great ideas here. I like the portable mixer idea but as I shoot alot of documentaries with two wireless mics "This Old House" style, it's not going to work. I think I'm going to get the Beachtek DXA-8. I don't quite understand Carlos when you say get rid of the 1/8" original adaptor, that jack is the only way to get into the camera!
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have a DXA-4 two, and it works pretty well, no complaints. Mine is an older one.
Bill Piedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #8
Major Player

i got a y connecter stereo minijack to 2 XLR inputs for like 15 bucks. works fine, clean sound, only problem is i only get audio on one channel. anyone know why?

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I do notice that I have gotten excellent sound from the on board mic by the way. Even though I have both an Azden SGM-2X and an ECM-44 lav, as well as the good old SHURE "Hammer"
Bill Piedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Joel,
Are you sure it's a stereo mini jack? If it was a mono one that would explain it. Check the number of black lines at the end of it...if there is only one, it's mono. You should be getting both mics on it however so I don't think that would be it....Maybe if it's not seated all the way in? Anyone else with a guess?
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #11
Major Player

yes i am sure the mini jack has two black lines. its so strange i am so puzzled. some guy said one channel is for mic input and the other is for line input. but i think that’s just B.S. because i can change the inputs around and get audio on left or right but not both simultaneously.

joel
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #12
Trustee

To Paul Frederick:

I didn't say that you have to get rid of the 1/8" jack, I said to find a way to forget about it. By that I mean to bypass the problems it may cause now and in the future: bad contacts, contact wear, etc. A fixed 1/8" to XLR adaptor should take care of that, be it cabled or on a box.

To Joel Corral:

My guess is what might be happening is that standard 1/8" plugs are not getting deep enough. The FX1 uses an improved threaded 1/8" jack that needs a special 1/8" plug. Maybe the plugs you are using on your adaptor does not connect each ring to each contact inside.

Carlos
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #13
Major Player

so carlos, where could i find a longer 1/8th" plug? if i go to radio shack or frys i just ask them for a loner jack?

thanks

joel
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #14
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : so carlos, where could i find a longer 1/8th" plug? if i go to radio shack or frys i just ask them for a loner jack?
-->>>

Can't help you much there, Joel. As far as I know there are no "longer 1/8th plugs", and just trying to find an explanation to what some people said in this forum.

Can you get a different cable and see if that still happens? See if you plug-in something different, like a CD player, and listen through the FX1 phones, if you still get a stereo signal.

Maybe the wiring in your cable is mono. Did you check that?

Carlos
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I had this same sort of problem with my Sony MiniDisc line in. Using a Radio Shack 1/8 to two RCA plugs I only got one channel. Solved the problem by buying a genuine Sony cable!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1