Does the FX1 or Z1 play back frame by frame? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Does the FX1 or Z1 play back frame by frame?

I am planning to use one of these camcorders for sports analysis, but I need sharp frame by frame playback. Does either one of these have it?
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

For Golf swing analysis?

If so you might want something that does progressive frames, which this camera doesn't.
Jed Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

check out this thread, you can download a sports clip.. I had the shutter at 1/125.. for analysis, i'd run the shutter much higher.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...5&pagenumber=2

The cameras do allow frame by frame playback as well as slow motion.

Starting this year in 2005 we'll be featuring our super slow motion camera on my ABC golf show. Last time we used it at like 18,000 frames per second. They were working on the bandwidth issues to get the frame rates even higher. The camera is capable of over 100,000 frames per second. Pretty cool for sports analysis!!
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

100,000 frames per second is overkill for sports analysis, but I would be interested in a 100 frames per second camera where each frame was a megabyte or higher. Do you have such a camera?
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually, a more typical slow motion camera we call the "super mo" which is a camera that is clocked at around 120 fps I believe. It feed directly to a tapeless device called an EVS. Not sure exactly how to get the footage into a file format, but the playback on EVS is fantastic.
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Jed Williamson : For Golf swing analysis?

If so you might want something that does progressive frames, which this camera doesn't. -->>>

Maybe what he is asking is if this camera will advance frame by frame, which even VHS can do and is not progressive.

It can't go-back frame by frame though, but I guess you can only do that on an editing system.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mike,

I am interested in buying a slow motion camera like the 'super mo' (120fps) you described, but could not find anything about it on Google. Can you point me toward a website or vendor for this product. You mentioned it played back on something called EVS. What is EVS?
Old January 21st, 2005, 09:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

If you're doing this "offline" and can afford the capture time, a good NLE will be able to show each field. I've done this for motion analysis. You get 60 per second, once deinterlaced.

For example, to do this in Vegas, put the 1080-60i HDV on the timeline, captured with a fast shutter speed. Starting with the HDV 1080-60i project template, change the project properties to 59.94 fps, progressive frames. Set the deinterlace mode to "interpolate". Save this as "1080-60p" or something. Now you can step through the individual fields, and they are 1/60 of a second apart.

///d@
Sony Media Software
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:00 PM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Prichard : Mike,

I am interested in buying a slow motion camera like the 'super mo' (120fps) you described, but could not find anything about it on Google. Can you point me toward a website or vendor for this product. You mentioned it played back on something called EVS. What is EVS? -->>>

I too am very interested in this. I would very much like it to be in the 1000$ range since you could just hook it up to someother device for recording. Any help?
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I visited the Sony store in San Francisco where they had an FX-1 on display. There were no buttons on the camera for frame by frame playback and the store employees did not have the remote or know anything about the camera (duh!). Is there anyone on this forum who has an FX-1 and can check the remote to see if there is frame by frame playback? Thanks.
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Yes, you can do frame by frame playback in forward direction very clean and solid, but when you try to go backward frame by frame it skip 2 seconds or so and it is unusable, probably because of the gop mpeg thing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1