DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   HVR-Z1 bulk purchase from DVinfo sponsors? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/37896-hvr-z1-bulk-purchase-dvinfo-sponsors.html)

Christopher C. Murphy January 17th, 2005 01:06 PM

HVR-Z1 bulk purchase from DVinfo sponsors?

Hey HDV'ers,

How many people are getting ready to buy the HVR-Z1? If you are I was wondering if anyone would like to try getting a small discount by buying it from one of the DVinfo sponsors. It looks like I'm getting one, so maybe Chris Hurd and/or a sponsor could help us out??

Anyway, just wondering if this would be possible or not? If we can get a few people (or a dozen?) maybe it'll be worth it to them!

Murph

Shannon Rawls January 17th, 2005 01:22 PM

Add me to the list. I was planning on visiting Samy's or Birns & Sawyer or doing an online order from B & H. But if you guys setup a group discount I'm in.

P.S.

I will not pay 6 grand for it though....$4200-4700 yes, maybe 4900...hell no for anything over 5 grand.

Boyd Ostroff January 17th, 2005 02:10 PM

You might want to have a look at this thread for starters http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=33418

Christopher C. Murphy January 17th, 2005 02:21 PM

Well, I just talked with a dealer and I'm waiting for a call back from someone higher up. I'll mention the possibility of a group buy and see what they say.....so, hang loose. The inital quote was $4999, but was told that after a month or so it'll be dropping.

Chris Hurd January 17th, 2005 02:52 PM

Here's the reason why I'm not going to orchestrate any "group buys" on this board. A bulk purchase would mean all cameras are shipped to one single address (that's the only way any dealer is going to agree to do it). Whose address is that going to be, and how will you handle shipping charges and shipping insurance for each participant? Somebody will have to play the "middle man." Basically you're introducing a middle man to the process and I don't think it's worth the trouble. Any kind of money you're saving on a group purchase is going to be eaten up when you face the reality of having to ship each participant's camera to them, with insurance.

Perhaps it would work for a group of people who live close to each other where shipping isn't required, but I would prefer for those deals to be worked out among folks by private email. Sorry, but the liability potential pretty much negates DV Info Net getting involved here.

Christopher C. Murphy January 17th, 2005 03:30 PM

Ok, thanks for explaining things Chris. It seem to be easier to just buy without the hassle anyway.

Murph

Heath McKnight January 17th, 2005 03:58 PM

Prices certainly do fluctuate, so if you don't need it immediately, maybe wait for that $4999 price to drop.

hwm

Boyd Ostroff January 17th, 2005 04:41 PM

B&H is already listing the Z1 for $4,900. Am I missing something here? Or are you concerned that the actual sale price will be higher, or that it won't be available for a long time? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=357486&is=REG

Christopher C. Murphy January 19th, 2005 10:12 AM

Contact me for a Z1 deal!

Hey all,

Please contact me directly - I have a great deal lined up.

chris.murphy@willowstudios.com

Murph

Ben Buie January 19th, 2005 10:31 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Here's the reason why I'm not going to orchestrate any "group buys" on this board. A bulk purchase would mean all cameras are shipped to one single address (that's the only way any dealer is going to agree to do it). -->>>

Uh, hate to mention another board, but A*S Forum sponsors do group buys all the time. The sponsor just creates a specific product page just for the board members, so if you don't read the board you don't get a chance to see the order.

Orders are shipped as normal to the purchaser, they don't require one huge order shipped to one address. The discount is given because of the captive audience a forum provides and the almost guaranteed flood of orders by posting a great deal on a forum like this.

They had some insanely low prices on things like HDTVs. The only downside is that the sponsors almost were overwhelmed by the orders and there were some delays. But to save $1000 it is worth it.

Having said that, A*S Forum is HUGE, and the market for HDTVs is probably much larger than the market for prosumer camcorders. So I don't know what kind of discount you could really negotiate on an FX1.

Ben

Chris Hurd January 19th, 2005 11:44 AM

Well, on that note, our sponsors do offer discounts for DV Info Net members from time to time -- just mention this site the next time you make a purchase from EVS. We have a history of special members-only offers on various camcorders and video gear from our advertisers. That's not how I would define a group buy, though.

With the Sony FX1 and Z1, there won't be enough of them to meet the initial demand. Dealers will blow through them quickly at the full retail price. The cameras sell themselves. A sponsor would not have the inventory to offer a special discount, nor would it be a good business decision for them to do so, since it will easily sell for the full MSRP. Just having them in stock will be a challenge.

After some time has gone by and the initial demand subsides, and inventory levels are back up, then sure, you can probably expect to see our sponsors offer a special members-only discount and that will be very cool.

Bob Zimmerman January 20th, 2005 11:20 AM

If I was buying today I would get the Z1. But I will have to wait about 2 months anyway. So maybe by then the price will drop or someone will come out with something better.

Christopher C. Murphy January 20th, 2005 01:13 PM

I just bought the Z1!

I've made the leap of faith and bought the HVR-Z1U!

I will have it in my hands in mid-Feb......glad that's over with now.

Murph

Heath McKnight January 20th, 2005 03:12 PM

Until the rumored 24p JVC HDV camera that's rumored to come out at NAB. But that's all a rumor.

heath