FX1/Z1 for Live Event/IMAG? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:52 PM   #1
New Boot

FX1/Z1 for Live Event/IMAG?

Is anybody here using the FX-1 for live events or IMAG? I was asked to find some field cameras for my church and have settled on the Z1, but I now find out that they may want to double their functionality and use them for IMAG (image magnification) during services. I've read about a delay in the HDV recording output, is it there for standard DV/DVCAM with the RCA outputs? Will it shoot 16:9 DV, or do you have to shoot in HDV and downconvert on the fly to get 16:9 DVCAM, and is there then quite a delay with that process?
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:43 AM   #2
Major Player

It will shoot 16:9 Dv or HD.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: FX1/Z1 for Live Event/IMAG?

<<<-- Originally posted by Jasenn Robertson : I've read about a delay in the HDV recording output, is it there for standard DV/DVCAM with the RCA outputs? Will it shoot 16:9 DV, or do you have to shoot in HDV and downconvert on the fly to get 16:9 DVCAM, and is there then quite a delay with that process? -->>>
There is no delay using component out for the HD feed. The delay is only using firewire out where the video is mpeg compressed and has to be uncompressed.
Patrick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #4
Major Player

You may want to experiment with the different analog outs on the camera as well as the different inputs on the projector. The component out on the camera is, I believe, HD (Maybe SD as well?). Whereas the S and composite video will be SD video.

On most projectors, the RGB inputs are looking for computer video, not the Y, R-Y, B-Y that makes up video, though some do both. (i.e.,on the RGB input menu if you set 'the sync settings to 'sync on green' the projector can grab the signal.) The composite and S-video inputs should be happy with SD however.

There may be quality/signal issues that come up if the projector can't handle the native HD output of the camera and has to 'scale' the signal on the fly. But, even if the HD output doesn't work at first, you might be able to change settings in the projector menu that will help it work. Check with the projector manual and e-mail the manufacturer for suggestions. Brave New World, huh?!
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi,

Having a similar issue:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39054

Will it only ouput 4:3 in DV mode?? That's what it looks like from reading the manual.

J
Jack McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Jack,

From what I understand and have read 4:3 is only available in DV mode and in DV mode you can select 16:9 or 4:3.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #7
New Boot

Good enough, thanks Bryan.

J
Jack McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks for your replies. Patrick, is there a delay in using the composite or s-video outputs?

We're using a scaler by FSR, so I don't have to worry about going directly to the projector, Eric.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1