CF25 on Z1 for NTSC filmmakers - this is promising - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:39 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

CF24 was all right for us, because our short film didn't have rapid movement.

heath
Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:34 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Ok, dumb question but after you convert CF25 to 24p in Vegas do you still have to do a conversion from PAL to NTSC?

Also, I have been converting 60i footage to 24p inside Vegas and to my eye it looks very smooth.
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:11 PM   #18
Barry Wan Kenobi

PAL and NTSC are the names for standard-definition broadcast signals, and have no relevance when talking about HD.

HD is neither PAL nor NTSC, it's HD. It's defined by its resolution and scanning rate. It's easier to execute an HD 50i->60i conversion than it would be a PAL->NTSC conversion, because at least with HD the frame size and pixel aspect ratio stay the same!

So no, if you convert 1440x1080x50i CF25 into 1440x1080x24p, you won't have to do any PAL or NTSC conversion. You will, however, have to convert that 1440x1080x24 into 1440x1080x60i if you want to be able to play it back to the camera or an HDV deck.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:06 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Barry is right on; the 25 to 24 slowdown is all you need if that's the workflow you want. Vegas can slow down the audio without changing the pitch while you're at it. Music isn't even part of the equation (it's mixed in later), unless for some reason you're recording it when you shoot.

///d@
Dennis Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Ok but what if I want to shoot in CF25 and downconvert to DV and output a NTSC version? Would it be silly for me to shoot in CF25 if I knew I had to output the NTSC?

I would be interested to shoot in CF 25 due to people saying it looks better than CF24.

What would be the best way to convert PAL to NTSE? Or would it be not a good choice due to loss of quality?
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

Here's one choice:

http://www.dvfilm.com/atlantis/

heath
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #22
Trustee

Could somebody perhaps show us what CF24 footage looks like when rendered at 24fps, i.e., an actual 24fps clip? That's really what we're ultimately all interested in (the film contingent). Thanks.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #23
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Jim Arthurs : Hi Dennis... what is the proper setup for the footage properties to allow 1:1 frame mapping?

I've tried many combinations and the outputed movie still will drop frames...

Thanks,

Jim Arthurs -->>>

Dennis Adams, I have the same question. Could you help us out please?

Also, this would only be practical for converting from 25p to 24p? I would not do this with 30p to 24p?

Thanks!
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #24
Regular Crew

<<< Dennis Adams, I have the same question. Could you help us out please?

Also, this would only be practical for converting from 25p to 24p? I would not do this with 30p to 24p?

Thanks! -->>>

Greg, the difference here is that in one case you just decide to live with the slight difference in speed change, while maintaining frame to frame integrity, while in the case of 30p to 24p you have to blend or drop frames to get to 24p (60i will give a smoother blend to 24 because of double the number of source images(fields) to start with)...

I've tried every combination in Vegas of speed change, etc. and I still can't effect what Dennis is suggesting. My test material is a clip with burned in frame numbers so I know instantly if blending or dropping is happening.

This sort of thing isn't covered in the Vegas manual, so some helpful tips would be appreciated.

The exact setup is this... I have a 23.976 project and I want clips of 25.00 (m2t's or cineform avi's )to play out frame by frame without dropping or blending. frames

Dennis? Help? :)

Jim Arthurs
Jim Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #25

If you want to see CF 24 rendered out:

ftp://sundancemediagroup.com/sundancemediagroup.com/ftp

You'll get an error message in your browser
No worries.
Go to File>Login as

vasst
access

You'll see a file called "Various HDV"

That has CF24, CF30, and standard 60i all in the same project.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1