DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 vs fx1 audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/38577-z1-vs-fx1-audio.html)

Dave Campbell January 30th, 2005 12:11 PM

Z1 vs fx1 audio

Okay, got a question on the audio.

So, lets start off with the on- camera stereo audio. On the fx1, it sounds like you always get a stereo mix with the same volume
since there are no channel controls. But, I assume on the Z1 you can adjust, if you want, the left and right channel to be different?

Okay, on the Z1, how does the XLR's work with the on camera mic? If I plug in one XLR, what happens to the audio track?
Is one side the on camera mic, and the other the shot gun?
(Assume I have the XLR mic 100 feet away). Can the single XLR
input be put on the tape as a left and right?

On my vx2000, I had to use a mini to stereo adapter to get both left and right when I used my shot gun mic.

Thanks

Dave

Shannon Rawls January 30th, 2005 12:21 PM

Re: Z1 vs fx1 audio

<<<-- Originally posted by Dave Campbell :
On the fx1, it sounds like you always get a stereo mix with the same volume since there are no channel controls. But, I assume on the Z1 you can adjust, if you want, the left and right channel to be different?

Okay, on the Z1, how does the XLR's work with the on camera mic? If I plug in one XLR, what happens to the audio track?
Is one side the on camera mic, and the other the shot gun?
(Assume I have the XLR mic 100 feet away). Can the single XLR
input be put on the tape as a left and right?
-->>>

Dave,

Part #1: YES, you can do it all kindsa ways. You can monitor the left and right seperately (left ch. in left ear, right ch. in right ear),or you can tell the camera to mix the left + right channels to come out of your headphones equally, or you can tell the camera to play the left channel only in both headphone cups, or the right channel only in both headphone cups.

Part #2: The on-camera mic DOES NOT work in conjunction with the XLR. You have to choose one or the other. If you choose XLR, then the on camera mic becomes dead, totally. If you choose on-camera mic, then the XLR pots become dead. You can not do 1/2 and 1/2 or anything like that. You have to pick one.
And you can tell the camera to mix CH. 1 to both left and right in the event you only have one mic. You do NOT need any splitter cables or anything like that.

- Shannon W. Rawls

Dave Campbell January 30th, 2005 01:28 PM

Cool.

So, I assume the default setup with one xlr input is both the left and right get recorded from the one mic? Is this channel 1 and channel 2 the correct way to call the left and right stereo?

Thanks

Dave

Shannon Rawls January 30th, 2005 02:03 PM

yes to all

Boyd Ostroff January 30th, 2005 02:59 PM

This setup appears to be identical to the way the XLR works on the PDX-10, which also has builtin stereo mikes. You choose either the XLR or internal mikes from a menu. Then you have a physical switch which allows you to send XLR input 1 to either channel 1 or both channels. According to Sony's Z1 brochure
Quote:

INPUT 1 audio can be recorded on CH1 only, or on both CH1 and CH2 audio tracks, with easy selection via a switch.