Adam Wilt's FX1 review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 30th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Wrangler

Adam Wilt's FX1 review

My March issue of DV Magazine arrived yesterday and has a review of the FX1. The review is mostly favorable - he rates it 4.5 out of 5 (and rates the XL2 the same in a companion review). The magazine cover proclaims "SHOOTOUT: Sony's first 10080 HDV camera vs. Canon's pro DV camera. HDR-FX1 and XL2 compared." Well unless I missed something in my quick scan-thru of the magazine, there isn't any "shootout," just separate reviews of the two cameras.

Wilt calls the FX1 the "VX-1000 of the high-definition world." His nitpicks include control placement (esp the push to autofocus button), the relatively low resolution screen and viewfinder, and limitations of the expanded focus and peaking systems. He was impressed by the vertical resolution but disappointed with the horizontal resolution which he said caused horizontal aliasing on fine vertical details (he has a similar complaint with the PD-170 evidently). He notes that the camera appears to be from 1.5 to 2 f-stops slower than a PD-150.

He was very impressed with its DV mode and said it was as sharp as the DVX-100 or XL2, but again suffering from horizontal aliasing. One interesting thing that he pointed out is that slow shutter speeds in DV mode benefit from the image scaling. 1/30 shutter speed is acheived by tossing out one of the fields, but this is done before scaling to 720x480 so the result is that almost no resolution is lost. The thing I personally found interesting here is that it effectively gives you one more f-stop in DV mode, by shooting at 1/30 (or 1/25 PAL).

Nice write-up, but no big surprises either...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

<< Wilt calls the FX1 the "VX-1000 of the high-definition world." >>

He's certainly right about that, in my opinion. Thanks for the capsule summary of Adam's review, Boyd -- much appreciated!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #3
Membership Suspended

We is wait another 3 years for VX2100 of the HD world? I hope not. Sony must improve low-light of FX1, and they can, but maybe they dont because they wont want to eat themselfs?
Davi Dortas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1