Inexpensive Matte Box for Z1..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Inexpensive Matte Box for Z1.....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=291205

May work. If you want a Follow Focus as well, you may have a problem since this box mounts on the lens and not on 15mm rods, but I'm not sure.

Anyone?

- Shannon W. Rawls
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Ah yes, the Formatt FM-500 4x4. I need to dig through my DV Expo West photos from December, I think I may have actually seen one mounted to an FX1. Seems I recall about three different matte boxes on FX1s at various booths around that show. The Formatt would definitely be one of the most affordable at $300, which is about right for a clamp-on.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Major Player

This just in.....

Randy Walters found the following at http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/format44.html -

"The Formatt matte box works well with Sony's amazing HDR-FX1 HDV camcorder,
no mike clearance issues, 72mm adapters"

This is the most inexpensive Matte Box solution I have seen @ $293 bucks.

- Shannon W. Rawls
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #4
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Shannon Rawls : This is the most inexpensive Matte Box solution I have seen @ $293 bucks.
-->>>

Except perhaps by this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=250086&is=REG

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have doubts that Cokin matte box has a rotating filter holder. You also have to buy an adapter and it does not come with any flags.
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6
Major Player

For the uneduacated, what's the difference with a bellows box and one that isn't?

I tend to prefer the look of a bellows matte box but didn't know if it did anything better or worse that a non-bellows one.

For example, I think this Cavision setup looks pretty sweet:

http://www.cavision.com/Image/MB413B2&HDVf-2.jpg

But is there any advantage or disadvantage to a bellows matte?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #7
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Jacobson : I have doubts that Cokin matte box has a rotating filter holder. You also have to buy an adapter and it does not come with any flags. -->>>

You will also need an adapter ring on the Formatt, which is certainly a very good deal.

About the filter rotating or not, I will have have to see that when I have the Cokin in my hands. My guess is they might.

The flag is usually an accessory on most matte boxes around, which you pay for. What I don't like too much on all of them is that they are fixed, and reflections usually come from weird angles. A small articulate flag should be added to the kit.

A bellows can be better than most matte-boxes. In fact film-camera matte boxes came with a bellows, that took care of the lens reflections. The sunshade was a more practical compromise that came along when zooms became popular.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

If I wanted something for filmmaking, what would you guys recommend? And this includes follow focus, too. Similar to this DVX100A set up and what was talked about at Sundance.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1