DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Nobody complaining that their cheapo batteries do not work? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/39096-nobody-complaining-their-cheapo-batteries-do-not-work.html)

Greg Jacobson February 8th, 2005 03:27 PM

Nobody complaining that their cheapo batteries do not work?

LOL! You guys (me included) who have tons of cheapo brand batteries for your PD150s are not gonna be happy when you put them on your new FX1/Z1 because after 2 seconds they go to sleep. :(

Only REAL Sony batteries will power your new baby.

Bryan McCullough February 8th, 2005 03:51 PM

I bought a third party battery for my FX1 that was listed on the B&H website.

Sure hope it works.

Greg Jacobson February 8th, 2005 04:17 PM

I have tried 2 after market brand batteries on the FX1 and neither of them worked. But I can still use them to power my Sony camera lights.

One brand is the "Monster Power Cell" and the other is "Lenmar".

When you try to put after market batteries in your FX1/Z1 it powers up for a few seconds and then turns off. The LCD reads "use Sony info-lithium batteries"

Chris Hurd February 8th, 2005 04:35 PM

Just curious... whether you bought the FX1 or the Z1U, basically you've shelled out much more than a couple thousand dollars on your new baby. Why would you feed it anything but the best batteries and tape that money can buy?

I've used third-party batts in an XL1 before, but only after it was a couple of years old and had paid for itself a few times over. Seems to me that for something brand new like a $3900 HDV camera, you'd want to stay away from the third-party stuff and stick with the name-brand Sony batts. Just my take on it,

Chris Whipple February 8th, 2005 04:41 PM

I found out the same thing today. I had ordered and jsut got in this morning (3) 950 equivalents for my FX1 and they did the same thing. "Use InfoLithium Battery" message pops up befoer shutdown. It must have some circuit that checks for the Infolithium chip. Powers up for a few seconds and then powers down and displays the above message. I didn't think about using them to power the light. Anybody use these on camera lights? Are they effective? I am just a "consumer", the target for this camera allegedlly. Should I consider getting one? I was considering the 10/20 watt one that uses either the L or M batteries.

At B&H Sony Price : $ 82.95

HVL-20DW2 20-watt Video Light - for use with L Series Batteries

Any feedback would be appreciated

Greg Jacobson February 8th, 2005 04:52 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Whipple : I found out the same thing today. I had ordered and jsut got in this morning (3) 950 equivalents for my FX1 and they did the same thing. "Use InfoLithium Battery" message pops up befoer shutdown. It must have some circuit that checks for the Infolithium chip. Powers up for a few seconds and then powers down and displays the above message. I didn't think about using them to power the light. Anybody use these on camera lights? Are they effective? I am just a "consumer", the target for this camera allegedlly. Should I consider getting one? I was considering the 10/20 watt one that uses either the L or M batteries.

At B&H Sony Price : $ 82.95

HVL-20DW2 20-watt Video Light - for use with L Series Batteries

Any feedback would be appreciated -->>>

You need to get one of the larger batteries to power the 20w light. The smaller batteries only power 10w. And my after market batteries crap out at the 20w setting after about 15 minutes.

Yeah, maybee for good reason Sony is making sure we don't use crap batteries on the new cams.

Chris Hurd February 8th, 2005 05:25 PM

Looks like Sony is taking it upon themselves to keep their customers from blowing up their camcorders with off-brand batts... thereby selling more of their own brand of batts, heh.

I guess you could look at this in one of two ways. A conspiracy theorist would say that Sony is just making sure you're spending money on their batts and nobody else's. But on the other hand, I have heard some stories of cheap off-brand batts frying a camcorder, creating a fire hazard, even causing personal injury (read: exploding). So while Sony is making sure your battery budget dollars go to them, they're also looking out for the safety and welfare of the camcorder... and the operator.

I suppose I need to update my Sony HDV pages to reflect this information.

By the way, nobody gave me the reply I was expecting... "because I spent all my money on the camera! Cheap batteries were all I could afford!"

Bryan McCullough February 8th, 2005 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Hurd
Just curious... whether you bought the FX1 or the Z1U, basically you've shelled out much more than a couple thousand dollars on your new baby. Why would you feed it anything but the best batteries and tape that money can buy?
Well Chris, I've used nothing but 3rd party batteries in my GL2 for the past few years and have had great success at a fraction of the cost.

So my expierence with third party batteries has been very good, which is why I picked the one listed on B&H's site when I ordered my camera.

If it doesn't work, I'll send it back and get the real deal.

Khoi Pham February 8th, 2005 05:48 PM

Well when I ordered my FX1 they didn't have any Sony batt. so I have no choice, I order 2 Power2000 6000mah, and they work fine, just not as long as my old NPF960.
I would stick with Sony if I could.

Filip Kovcin February 8th, 2005 05:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : By the way, nobody gave me the reply I was expecting... "because I spent all my money on the camera! Cheap batteries were all I could afford!" -->>>

he, he... this is exellent Chris!

The words/sound of REAL cinemaniac (in absolutelly positive way/meaning!).

filip

Shannon Rawls February 8th, 2005 06:39 PM

Not me...

Well, I GUESS I GOT LUCKY.....

Cause I just bought 2 of these inexpensive 5600mah $19.99 puppies that lasts about 7.5 hours each with LCD (says 381 minutes on the lcd). I'm sure the mileage will vary, but if they do 4 hours, I'm fine.

No shut down, no cut off or anything. (so far)

But then again, I made sure I bought some batteries that were LithiumInfo compatible:

"These batteries fully support the INFO technology Sony relies on to display the battery usage. They can also be charged by any standard charger compatible with F-series (F550 F750 or F960), plus they can be charged directly on the camcorder. "

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

(get it direct from their website, not ebay)

P.S.
Maybe that warning is only on the Consumer FX1, and they turned it off for the Pro Z1U model??? If that's the case...the justification for getting a Z1U over an FX1 is just adding up day after day. *smile*

- Shannon W. Rawls

Greg Jacobson February 8th, 2005 06:57 PM

kewl, thanks Shannon

Bryan McCullough February 8th, 2005 08:00 PM

Thanks for that info Shannon!

Curses that I bought an $80 battery! :(

Here's the website of the Ebay selller:

http://www.power101.com/

Ignacio Rodriguez February 8th, 2005 09:26 PM

Please include the info when you report not only about the brand and model of battery, but also whether you have an FX1 or Z1. Perhaps the FX1, being artificially crippled in several other ways, is also crippled in terms of only accepting certain batteries and perhaps the Z1, being the "pro" model, doesn't have the same degree of "safety" limitations.

Isn't it a good thing that at least this time Sony allows us to use any brand of tape. I know most of us will use the Sony tapes and stick to them. Still, it's good to have the choice.

Then again... has anybody tried other tapes? <GRIN>

If we don't put our foot down, the next thing you know the audio and video connectors or the tripod thread might be non-standard...

Khoi Pham February 8th, 2005 10:55 PM

"Cause I just bought 2 of these inexpensive 5600mah $19.99 puppies that lasts about 7.5 hours each with LCD (says 381 minutes on the lcd). I'm sure the mileage will vary, but if they do 4 hours, I'm fine."

Yeah mine said the same thing but it will drop down very fast as you use it so it is not accurate, don't trust it, bring extra batt. on your shoot.