FX1 and Beachtek - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: greg

Quote:
Originally posted by Hans ter Lingen
I don't understand your eplanation. If I only want to use the built in mike you in fact say it is crap since it picks up all kinds of sound like zooming, focussing etc.. Sony should have noticed this themself or am i so stupid ???
Hans,

I don't think there's a camcorder out there with a built-in mic that's worth anything. If you're shooting family vacations or Christmas morning then picking up a little zoom noise isn't the end of the world.

For professional audio you should never use a built-in mic. Get a decent shotgun mic and you're all set.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #17
Regular Crew

If that is the case why don't they ommitt the internal mic all together. They already did this for the crappy external shot gone which you got with the PD150/170
Hans ter Lingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #18
Trustee

The internal mic comes in handy when trying to sync the external audio when a clapboard is not available.

And those of us who shoot on vacation like having it. :-)
Old February 13th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #19

Hans,
The built in mic is no better nor worse than any other cam-built in mic. If you're serious about good sound, and serious about getting a good pickup of audio, you should NEVER use the built in mic. This is why the XLR inputs of the Z1 are so important. You simply can't get good sound with any camera mounted mic. Sometimes in run n' gun the Shotgun mounted is good, but that's an exception, not a rule.
So, yes, the cam mic will pick up some zoom and button noise, just like any other mounted mic.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 02:44 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I never heard this complaint about the pd170 !!!! Why doesn't Sony ommitt the internal mic. This would reduce the price of the z1 since everybody anyway buy an external mic!!! With the money thay save they could bring the audio electronics of the z1 to a higher level.
Hans ter Lingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Hans ter Lingen
Why doesn't Sony ommitt the internal mic. This would reduce the price of the z1 since everybody anyway buy an external mic!!!
Because more people would complain about the lack of a built-in mic than those that complain about it picking up some camera noise.
Old February 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I can hear the complaints now...."I spent $5 grand on this #$*#ing camera and it doesn't have a mic!?" LOL
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I spent 5 grand on this camera and now I gotta go spend $49.99 at Guitar Center for a damn mic!!!!!!!!!
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Jacobson
I spent 5 grand on this camera and now I gotta go spend $49.99 at Guitar Center for a damn mic!!!!!!!!!
Spend more than that, it'll be worth it.

My shotgun is now on its second camera, and will probably make it to the next one in a few years.

Good audio gear will last a loooong time, don't go cheap on it in the beginning.
Old February 13th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #25
New Boot

What shotgun mic are you using Bryan? Or better put, what mic is riding shotgun on your FX-1?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1