Bag vs. Case - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 1st, 2005, 08:09 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Steven,

You might want to check out the Lowepro "Nature Treckker AW" I originally purchased it for a Nikon d1X but was able to modify it for a XL1 and also I just moved things around (all velcro partitions) and the Z1 could be made to fit. It is a very comfortable backpack with a tripod holder although it would have to be a smaller tripod, I couldn't imagine strapping one of our Vintons on it. I'm somewhat of a case freak and often end up having 2 or 3 cases for the same piece of equipment based on the environment it's going to be used in.

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
I bought a case, but now that I have a trip to Greece scheduled, I know I need to figure out a way to strap the FX1 to my front while my tripod is strapped to my back.=REG
Richard Lubash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM   #32
Trustee

I found the smallest possible case to travel with.

The Kata CC-191 works fine. I have to stretch the mouth of the bag a slight bit to put the camera in, but it is going to work out just fine. I walked around with it a bit yesterday to check it out.

It just barely holds the Sony HDR-FX1, the polarizing lens filter, and a couple of tapes. All packed, it comes to a total of 8.5 pounds strapped on my shoulder. The tripod is almost that heavy strapped to my back when you include the DVRigJr I will carry in the tripod bag for when a tripod is not allowed. Like in museums, or as I have heard, at the Acropolis/Parthenon.

I will be off and on buses for 8 days, and then on a cruise. So I can replenish the tapes each day. My guess is that I will have the polarizing lens on most of the time, so I bought a cheap lens cap for it, since using a polarizing lens means no lens hood.

I like to have everything with me, but the small bag will be a lot easier to deal with than the large Petrol bag I travel with when I have a rental car.
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:07 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Steven,

Does it fit in the Kata CC-191 bag with the lens hood on?

Since you mention it, the Polarizer I bought at Ritz camera yesterday (I think Quantaray?) does fit under the hood just fine and can even be adjusted with a fingernail on the edge.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:47 AM   #34
Trustee

Bryan,

Please let me know the Make/Model of your polarizing lens. The Sony one I bought from B&H does not allow that.

Yes, the Kata-191 filts with the lens hood on, but when you put it in, the lens end needs to go in a a certain way, and the bag needs to be stretched a tiny bit to get the eyepiece in. I can not imagine a smaller bag than the 191 for the FX1. If it was an inch or so narrower, it would fit perfectly. As it is, I think it will be the answer to traveling light.

I have not tried it with a Z1, but I think there is room for the Mic holder.

If the rubber around the eyepiece were stiff, it would not fit.

Take a look:

http://www.stevengotz.com/images/Kata-191.jpg
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:45 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Steven,

Thanks for the info. For the polarizer that fits under the lens - Quantaray 72mm C-PL is all it says on the lens and lens case.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #36
Wrangler

I thought I'd update this thread with my own experiences, FWIW...

When I was at B&H buying my Z1 I also bought the Kata CC193, and it seems pretty well made. But now as I'm getting ready to leave for a trip to South America I've decided against using it. I think it will be fine for hauling the camera around in my car, but I had several concerns about international travel.

1. As a general observation, the Kata bag doesn't seal very well with those dual zippers. You can't zip them all the way closed because of the foam padding. There's a buckle and velcro to keep to from popping open, but this still leaves a gap where dirt and moisture can get in.

2. After lots of thought (worry actually ;-), I'm just not comfortable with a completely soft case on the airplane. I've seen the way people cram stuff into the overhead compartments, and don't wan't my camera to get smashed. Or it it's under the seat, I don't want to kick it myself! And I'm paranoid that for whatever reason they'll tell me I can't carry it on and want to check it through, or put it into a luggage compartment, or whatever.

3. The Kata is really a lot taller than it needs to be for the Z1, leaving lots of empty space above it. Again, it's just begging to get squashed down. I tried adding some of my own foam but wasn't happy with the results. Overall the bag just seems a little bulky to me as well.

4. The Kata has a strap and buckle to hold the camera down, but it doesn't really do that great a job - it still rocks back and forth because there's no ideal spot to strap it. Also, the strap seems to work loose a bit all by itself.

I've been looking all over in luggage departments, Lowes, Staples, etc. for something I like better than the camera bags I've seen, but not much luck. I don't want a hardcase/metal briefcase.

So today as a last resort I stopped at my little local camera store and wow, they actually had a nice selection of cases. Since it's the last minute before my trip, I just bought there, but B&H carries the same thing. I ended up with a Tamarac 644 and am really happy:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It looks pretty much like a soft case, but has a very solid bicomponent plastic body under the nylon. No way anyone is gonna squash this case. The fit is snug, but still left plenty of room for the camera, battery charger, cables, 3 of the big batteries, 10 tapes and other junk. It has a system of nicely padded divideders with very strong velcro fasteners. It took awhile, but I came up with an arrangement that really supports and pads the camera so it can't move at all.

BTW, I've removed the mike holder from my Z1. I have no plans to use a camera mounted mike, and it just bothered me. Looks like an accident waiting to happen with the LCD screen, I don't like the way it sticks out, and it also makes the camera harder to pack. However it would still fit in the Tamarac case fine if you left it on.

Another nice thing about the Tamarac case is that it just meets the airline's criterion (36" linear inches H+W+L) for a carry-on "personal item" in addition to your carry-on bag.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #37
New Boot

Lowepro Photo Trekker AW

I'd like to suggest the Lowepro Photo Trekker AW - I have Pelikan 1610 and 1650 hard cases, as well as a bunch of other Kata-like bags. The Lowepro nicely fits my old PD150 or the Z1, plus radio mikes, cables, batteries etc.

I originally bought it for some outback shooting, but it fits as carry-on, and protects the contents with water and dust resistant zippers as well. The nicest aspect is when you are wheeling a Pelikan case, and lugging a tripod bag, you wear it as a backpack, so everything stays under control.

In a pinch, you can shoot while wearing the Lowepro - so if you are moving around you have essential stuff right there with you.

It is easily as well made as the much more expensive Kata-type bags, and everything fits snugly. Check it out.

Cheers,

Nigel
Nigel Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Am I the only one who bought a Sony LCH-FXA?

It makes a awesome footrest when I'm not using my camera. :-)
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #39
Wrangler

I wanted to look at that, but B&H had them on backorder when I was there...
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #40
Trustee

Remember metallic camera boxes might get more attention from customs and when you are in the street.

The Tamrac looks more discreet.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #41
Wrangler

My thinking exactly. I didn't realize it was a hard case until I actually picked it up and felt it.
Old June 25th, 2005, 03:01 AM   #42
Regular Crew

For a camera bag I have three requirements: sturdy, comfortable as a back-pack, and to get the camera out fast. Some of the shots I do will be while hiking/waking long distances. After some search I found the Tenba P263. The FX1 fits very well inside and my favourite tripod (Slik PRO 700DX) easily goes into the straps at the back, giving it a total of less than 15 pounds of equipment to carry. I've been out carrying this for a whole day with no problem on several occations.

http://bjoernen.ebolaget.com/tenba_P263.jpg

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...2_3139crx.aspx

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&sku=800377693
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn Moren
After some search I found the Tenba P263. The FX1 fits very well inside and my favourite tripod (Slik PRO 700DX) easily goes into the straps at the back, giving it a total of less than 15 pounds of equipment to carry.
That backpack looks as a great idea. What I don't know is if airlines will let it in as a carry-on luggage. Do you know that?

Backpacks are generally a very good application for carrying video or audio stuff in general on location. One backpack is always part of my location gear, particularly for cables, mixers, mics, etc.

But won't cameras move around a bit inside when you walk? Even if it's secured?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Carlos, I've not taken it onto a plane yet. The backpack is roughly 60cm x 35cm x 25cm. Thaiairways (going to Thailand July 21'st) allows 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, so it's slightly larger in one dimension only. I hope they wont be picky. Worst case I'll carry the FX1 onboard in a soft bag, while the backpack (w gear) goes with the luggage. I can take some trouble to get this great backpack with me.

A reviewer (link in my prev post) had the following critera, so I think it will work in most cases: "My main criteria was to get the largest backpack that was DEFINITELY SMALL ENOUGH to carry-on an American Airlines flight to England this fall."

The great thing about this particular backpack is that if you arrange the velcro walls like in my picture, the FX1 fits securely without moving at all, no matter how you carry it. By pure luck the compartment is slightly smaller than the FX1 in all dimensions, so the soft sides secures it all around. On the other hand this will not work if you have a mic or something else that is big and permanently mounted on the camera.

If you plan to buy it, you just have to fix one thing. Take two of the smaller walls and create a longer wall by assembling them together. I took two carpenter's nails and sharpened them at both ends. Then stick them into the wall sides to make a sturdy long wall. This wall goes close to the viewfinder (see picture). Easily done in 15 mins. You also get some small walls left that you can use for padding the camera or other gear.
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM   #45
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGinley
Am I the only one who bought a Sony LCH-FXA?

It makes a awesome footrest when I'm not using my camera. :-)
I picked up the LCH-FXA as well and while it is a little bulky, I love it. It was MADE for the HDR-FX1 and there is plenty of extra room for peripherals and it is incredibly sturdy.

-Douglas
Douglas Equils is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1