Bag vs. Case - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:15 PM   #46
Regular Crew

I love the Sony hard case too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Equils
I picked up the LCH-FXA as well and while it is a little bulky, I love it. It was MADE for the HDR-FX1 and there is plenty of extra room for peripherals and it is incredibly sturdy.
John, Douglas,

I have the 'same' aluminium box designed originally for the VX2000. Just had to cut out the base and top inside lid supports for my Z1 and will use for most transport.

Also have a Portabrace backpack with internal dividers and velcro straps originally bought for my (sold) PD150. Quite bulky but more practical for outdoors hiking that I am gearing up for. Space for water and food. :)

Richard
Old July 4th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #47
Major Player

15 years ago I routinely sent my tube camera down the airport shute in a big padded hard case. And I still had to register it when I landed. Those days are long gone. The protocol I followed for the next 11 years as a network Sony Beta-cam chip photog was to place our cameras in the over head compartment of the airplane with only a pillow to protect the lens on takeoff. No bags or cases, and I never had a problem once I hit the ground.

I am now a freelance Panasonic DVX-100A shooter and rather than buying a separate bag for the camera and another for essentials, I bought a Porta-Brace CAR-3 from Adorama, SKU# PBCAR3 for $180. It holds the cam, batteries, audio equipment, tool kit, etc. It has velcro dividers to customize the inside space and has four outside pockets. And it should fit nicely into a plane's overhead compartment.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly with this bag. Hope this info is helpful..
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I flew quite a bit the last 10 days with my Portabrace Cargo 2. It fits nicely into the overhead compartment on all the planes - large and small - that I flew in. I help all of my gear as well as my still camera - a Nikon D100 without any problems.

As a side note...as I was going through security in SLC I followed some folks who were travelling with an FX1 in a Sata soft bag. I thought it odd that we both had HDV cams.

At one point I contemplated gate-side checking the case because of a very full flight. I feel confident that it would have protected the camera and other contents. I don't think I would do a curb-side or ticket counter checkin, but the gateside check in seems to be less abusive.
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:42 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Which is smallest reasonable Pelican case for the FX-1?

My love of Pelican hard cases 'reawakened' the above older thread.

After reading through the thread, I see that many have provided their opinion of which cases are best for the FX1 (leaving me even more confused). So, to narrow things down a bit, which size Pelican is the smallest that will reasonably accommodate the FX-1 (or Z1U), batteries, and a few other misc. small accessories?

Thanks in advance,
--Jim
Jim Karrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Karrels
My love of Pelican hard cases 'reawakened' the above older thread. After reading through the thread, I see that many have provided their opinion of which cases are best for the FX1 (leaving me even more confused). So, to narrow things down a bit, which size Pelican is the smallest that will reasonably accommodate the FX-1 (or Z1U), batteries, and a few other misc. small accessories? Thanks in advance, --Jim
I think it would be the 1520 or the 1526 combo. The Pelican 1526 = 1527 soft bag with 1520 hard case.
1520 Outside Dims. 19.12" L x 15.43" W x 7.56"H
1520 Inside Dims. 17 7/8 x 12 3/4 x 6 3/4"
1527 Interior Dims 17 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 6 3/8"
see: http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1520.htm

I really wish that pelican made a case that had more depth (or was equal in two dimensions, like 9"x9"x18") because the depth is always the problem dimension on the smaller cases, and the weakest part of the case is the largest surface and that is where you have the least padding for the camera. The Kata Shell-03 (CCC-2003) is 16.5Lx10.6Wx7.9H which fits the FX1 well, but it's not like a Pelican (e.g. it could be crushed, but it's much stiffer than a soft bag). The great thing about the Kata is that it looks so small compared to a Pelican case.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #51
Regular Crew

check: alphatron.nl they have a seperate division called camrade.
Upon my inputr they made a special bag for a z1 with a chrosziel mattebox attachhed. . you can use it as a normal bag in you hand. over the shoulder. and also as a rucksack!
Jane Snijders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Just got myself a FX1, and am looking into buying a case for it. I'm not planning on bringing it on a plane or anything, I just need something that will store the camera and some small accessories. So I'm not looking into anything expensive.

Does anyone have experience with a Vanguard Hard Case? Thanks!
Chad Huntley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #53
Major Player

i am using a Lowepro Magnum AW for my FX1 and it fits just fine. I love Lowepro bags!
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Can anyone confirm the Pelican 1520? Shawn put up the specs that make it look like it should, but has anyone actually tried it?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:48 AM   #55
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Huntley
Can anyone confirm the Pelican 1520? Shawn put up the specs that make it look like it should, but has anyone actually tried it?
I will be able to in a few days ?
think my FX1 will be coming in next few days and I used a 1520 for my VX2100
Chad Dahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #56
New Boot

well it will not fit in standing up which I figured
it will fit in laying on its side I have he divider set not the foam and got it to work OK ??
a bit taller case would be ideal for this camera though
I can snap a few shots and post it if anyone wants to get a idea how it fits in and what room is left over
Chad Dahlquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #57
Regular Crew

I just got the Pelican 1520 as well. Fits the camera, charger, tapes, extra battery(s), and remote easily. I love the durability of it.
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #58
Trustee

I have to move a lot in Manhattan, on feet and in buses/subways/cabs.

Bag is the solution for me.

I used to have a large gym bag with lots of foam insulation for my Z1, for two reasons: - pro bags induce theft; - they cost a lot.

But recently I came across Kata MC60 and just couldn't resist - it holds everything, including the external mic assembly, filters/lenses/batteries/tapes/lens cleaning solutions/charger, my 35mm adapter, and has space for some more - all at $99 and sized smaller than my gym bag.

B&H seems to have discontinued it and moved the last (demo?) piece to their Used dept. - where I happily picked it up :) Original price, I think, was around $150.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #59

I've mostly been a case guy, but have recently discovered the joy of bagging it for those short trips or carry-ons. I just finished a review of the new Petrol Camporter bag if you're interested in how it works for us.
Read it here
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Jacobson : I use a black bag that looks like regular luggage. I don't like people knowing I have an expensive camera. -->>>

You must not fly... cuz' there ain't no way in hell you can fly without the TSA handling your camera even if it's just a carry on. In fact, as a note to yourself/selves, if you fly with the HVR-Z1 in a bag, be sure to put some sort of foam or rubber support inside the second mic mount. Mine is already damaged because the moronic TSA folks at Orange County/John Wayne/Santa Ana (how can an airport have 3 names?) didn't load my cam back into the foam cutout correctly, and the lid on the Pelican forced the arm down and broke the hinge pin.

Did you resolve this or did TSA just give you some explaination in another language which amounted to, tough luck.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1