Bag vs. Case - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #61

The TSA gives you a claim form. I'm still waiting on payment for a camera damaged 3 years ago. They work like an insurance company, deny, deny, deny...well, maybe we shouldn't be quick to deny, but we're still not paying. Give us more information.
Between dropped laptops, stolen goods, and damaged cameras, we're into the TSA for around 10K over the past 4 years.
Side note, I had a piece of jewelry disappear on-camera in Las Vegas at NAB last year (leaving the airport) and since it happened during a shift change, TSA "couldn't do much." Since the bracelet was made by a Dine' and didn't have a "catalog value", they gave me 100.00 and said "Sorry, that's all we're permitted to do." For those that saw it (it never left my arm for 17 years, I have a groove worn in my wrist bone from it) any idiot could tell you it was a unique piece, and was worth well over 1k. It wasn't the money; it was an heirloom. Wearing a TSA badge is a license to steal or break.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #62
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The TSA gives you a claim form. I'm still waiting on payment for a camera damaged 3 years ago. They work like an insurance company, deny, deny, deny...well, maybe we shouldn't be quick to deny, but we're still not paying. Give us more information.
Between dropped laptops, stolen goods, and damaged cameras, we're into the TSA for around 10K over the past 4 years.
Side note, I had a piece of jewelry disappear on-camera in Las Vegas at NAB last year (leaving the airport) and since it happened during a shift change, TSA "couldn't do much." Since the bracelet was made by a Dine' and didn't have a "catalog value", they gave me 100.00 and said "Sorry, that's all we're permitted to do." For those that saw it (it never left my arm for 17 years, I have a groove worn in my wrist bone from it) any idiot could tell you it was a unique piece, and was worth well over 1k. It wasn't the money; it was an heirloom. Wearing a TSA badge is a license to steal or break.

Good grief, this would drive me to rent equipment if I have to fly to do a gig. That sucks Doug. As a side note, I as a general rule I 'hate' to fly. I hate the entire process. I don't unless I have no other way. When we go to see my in-laws, total time in the airports (non-flying) comes to around 6 or 7 hours . The drive to thier house is around 10 hours one way. It doesn't make sense, so I no longer fly there. I'll just drive. I hope you get your money dude.
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Flying Cases

Two quick points (a total of $0.04):
1. I work for a defense contractor and we try to break cases for our equipment all the time for testing before delivery to a customer (i.e. Army). Pelican makes some really nice cases, but we have switched over to using Hardigg's Storm series cases. We tend to prefer the latches on them better. They open and shut much easier and the case is just as durable. I have three cases (for my XL2 and VX2100). The iM2975 is the largest, but I can stick everything into one case (did I mention it was big?). The iM2720 (the equiv. of the Pelican 1610) for one-camera shoots and the iM2200 for my photography equipment.

2. I typically ship my equipment so I don't have to deal with TSA (expensive, but I try to build it into my pricing quotes). One trick that I did try and it has worked out pretty well so far: I bought the olive drab color cases. Then I went to the base exchange (for military folks, for non-military, try e-bay) and bought a few official U.S.A.F stickers. Don't get the "Property of.." ones, just the insignia. Now, I made a mold and spray-painted the insignia (in black) on the case along with U.S.A.F, but the sticker may work just as well. Then I use a "TSA lock" on the case. They have been nice to my equipment so far, but I feel like I am rolling the dice every time I hand off the case.
Colin Ard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
BTW, I've removed the mike holder from my Z1. I have no plans to use a camera mounted mike, and it just bothered me. Looks like an accident waiting to happen with the LCD screen, I don't like the way it sticks out, and it also makes the camera harder to pack. However it would still fit in the Tamarac case fine if you left it on.
How did you take the mic holder off. I removed some screws that looked like it would loosen it, but it did not. Not wanting to risk it, I stoped trying.
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGinley
Am I the only one who bought a Sony LCH-FXA?

It makes a awesome footrest when I'm not using my camera. :-)
I bought it. Love the protection. A little cumbersome for travleing, but i just cart it from home to church on Sundays. Fits everything including extra cables and a FS 4 Pro HD.
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #66
Trustee

Scott, forget small black the screws on the back. They do nothing to mic holder.

Instead, simply unscrew the big ribbed screw, as if putting a mic in, and flip the mic holder open. Look inside. See 2 shiny chromium screws? You only need a normal Philips driver to unscrew them, and the whole mic holder assembly comes off.

Of course, the usual disclaimers apply - do it at your own risk etc etc, but it worked fine for me.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick response Alex. I am new to this group and new to HDV. So far you guys have been great. Thanks for being a fountain of knowledge for us "newbies".
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Old April 7th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #68
Trustee

Glad to help!

I do agree that Chris's site is fantastic for every person devoted to (HD) video. Thanks Chris and everyone.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #69
New Boot

Bags

I have 2 Z1Us and originally bought Petrol bags but sent them back because they were just too big. Instead I got two Impact bags. They are perfect for carry on and hold the camera, G2 transmitter and receiver, mic and short cable, ME66, headphones, two tapes, and a few misc items---in other words, enough stuff so the airline can lose your checked gear and your can still shoot---and that is the way I always travel. The bag has a shoulder strap and fits nicely in the overhead airplane bins. Great bag! Here's the B and H link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...lue=382085_REG

JimT
Jim Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM   #70
Major Player

I have the Petrol bag for my FX1 and love it. I'm a big fan of the extra room and carry lots of things with it (mics, tapes, batteries, cables, connectors, headphones & even extra bulbs for my light kit). I don't travel often, but am planning to take it to NY in July... I hope if fits in the overhead! If not, I've taken large items like guitars and had the flight attendants take it to some special secret place on board the plane, but not by the passengers. Hopefully they'll accomdate me in such ways again.
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #71
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Terpstra
I've taken large items like guitars and had the flight attendants take it to some special secret place on board the plane
I really suggest that you have a "plan B" because I don't think you can count on that. There is typically a little closet sort of space where the crew puts their own luggage, but they can be pretty strict on a full flight. Last month I saw a passenger getting very riled when they told him that he would have to check an item and that no, they couldn't find someplace else to put it. OTOH, on another flight where the overhead bins were full they did offer to stash a passenger's carry-on.

But if you're taking one of the little "regional jets" then forget it, all carry on items that won't fit under the (tiny) seats are gate checked without exception. Take the time to do some research - look on your airline's website and you will find very specific limitations on carry on size. They may vary between different airlines. Also check to see what kind of airplane you'll be flying on. When flights are full they can be really strict and make you leave anything that looks too big before allowing you on the jetway.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #72
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Equils
I picked up the LCH-FXA as well and while it is a little bulky, I love it. It was MADE for the HDR-FX1 and there is plenty of extra room for peripherals and it is incredibly sturdy.

-Douglas

Is this for the Z1u as well, and is it already cut out for a fit to the foam? I added it to my wishlist, but I'm trying to decide between this and the pelican.
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Everything is formed perfect for the camera and accessories. It is "officially" for the FX, but I have a Z1 and size/shape wise they are the same camera. If you are not doing heavy traveling, I highly recommend it.
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #74
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I'm using a 1620, it holds both Z1's and two LitePanels, plus extra stuff I need, including chargers, etc.
Hey Douglas,

I'm only buying one Z1u, in your opinion, would you still get the 1620 for that one camera, or will the 1610 do?

I'd love to see a pic of your camera/case setup.

Steven
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #75

The 1610 would do for one cam, no doubt.
I haven't taken pix of the Pelican setup, I do have pix of my Petrol softbag setup at http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?i...1-0b0afaaeecf0 , but that won't likely help much. When we return from this shoot, I'll try to remember to take a few pix and post em'.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1