Sony HVR-Z1U 24fps Simple Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 17th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HVR-Z1U 24fps Simple Question

I had the FX1 a couple of months ago and loved it, BUT it's 24fps mode was fake. Basically it was the 30fps mode with 6 frames chopped out every second. Unusable.

So my simple question is this - can the Z1U do true 24fps? I realize that it will be encoded as 60i with 3:2 telecine encoding.

So can it do it just like the Panasonic DVX100 and Canon XL2?

Thanks!
Hse Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, no difference.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Sony HVR-Z1U 24fps Simple Question

<<<-- Originally posted by Hse Kha : I had the FX1 a couple of months ago and loved it, BUT it's 24fps mode was fake. Unusable. -->>>

MMMmmmm, I wouldn't go so far as to say that.

I think it's EXTREMELY usuable, you just have to know 'how' to use it. Is it edible fresh out the freezer like the DVX is.....heck no. With the Sony cameras, you have to do some COOKIN' to make it taste right....but when it's finished, boy oh boy does it taste good.

What platform do you edit in? PC or MAC?

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Chris - Well, that is a big tragedy. What annoys me it not that they do NOT have it, but that they have the fake and misleading mode. It is false advertising!

Shannon - How can it be of any use? You are better of using 60i and converting to 24fps in post! The native "24fps" as mentioned before loses complete frames! It is unwatchable!

Oh well, I guess that one can shoot progessive in PAL mode at 25fps and slow it to 24fps it the expense of audio pitch change... It does shoot 25fps right?

Thanks for the info guys...

BTW I use PC.
Hse Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #5

HSE,
NOwhere did Sony say it was 24p. In fact, Sony takes great pains to call it CineFrame 24. I guess you could call it fake if you want, but since they don't call it "true" 24, I'm not sure how you could make the argument than it's "false" 24.

It's a look. No different than how Panasonic has built in Magic Bullet looks. They're not real film either. So, is it a "fake" film look in the Panny? 24p is an artistic choice, and depending on your choice of NLE, it can be made to look good, as Shannon has pointed out and as I've been experimenting with.
If you shoot at 25 and drop the speed by 4%, it does nothing to the sound, unless you're working with a poor quality editor. No pitch change at all if you work in Sony Vegas, unless you want it to change pitch.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Hse,

<< What annoys me it not that they do NOT have it, but that they have the fake and misleading mode. It is false advertising! >>

There's nothing false or misleading about it. Sony does not advertise this camcorder as progressive scan, in fact, nowhere in any Sony literature will you see the term progressive scan. It's no secret whatsoever that its CCDs are not progressive scan chips. However, they're able to emulate progressive scan to a degree, and this emulation (that is, CineFrame) is perhaps best described as "pseudo progressive," just like Frame Movie mode on some Pasonic camcorders (and some Canons as well, since Canon has a license to use it). Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1