DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   should I buy this Z1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/400569-should-i-buy-z1.html)

Paul Cheung September 15th, 2009 08:30 AM

should I buy this Z1

I know the Z1 has been discontinued but I was wondering whether you guys thought this Z1 package from an acquaintance would be good value:

Sony HVR- Z1E HDV/DVCAM/DV Camcorder
Operation: 19x10H Drum: 10x10H Tape Run: 6x10H Threading: 27x10H

Sony 0.7x Wide Angle Converter
3 x NP-F970 High Capacity Batteries w/charger
Petrol Camera Case
Manfrotto 525/501 Tripod

The price for everything is £2,200 or $3,617

Tom Hardwick September 15th, 2009 10:03 AM

Paul - can you get to see this camera and have a good careful look over it before you say yes? Take a hi-power torch to look inside the tape deck - it should be squeaky clean. Have a careful look at the front element - it should be unblemished. So too with the 0.7x converter. You know the seller? Why's he selling?

The hours run mean very little. If it's been filming motocross in the desert they'll sure been different hours to an English lawn wedding.

The price is ok, but the 503 /503HDV heads are a lot better then the 501. I like Petrol cases too.

tom.

Boyd Ostroff September 15th, 2009 11:47 AM

Price sounds pretty good, but Tom makes some excellent points. I used a Manfrotto 501 for a number of years. It should be considered an "entry level" head, but it's OK for some applications. If you need to shoot anything from a great distance while zoomed way in then you'll quickly become aware of the problems. But shooting closer to the action it will probably be fine for starters.

Paul Cheung September 16th, 2009 07:25 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. With regard to the condition of the camera, I know it is very good because most of the hours were stacked up on my own production (we hired the camera for a short). One of the key conditions for the camera is that it needs to be one that will last for 3 or 4 years. Is that feasible or will it be totally out of date?
I currently own an A1 (which I am selling) and have had that for a year and a half. I'm not really keen on upgrading too often!

Tom Hardwick September 16th, 2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cheung (Post 1360049)
will it be totally out of date?

In 4 years time the Z1 will still be the very competent camera it is today. It will still shoot 16:9 HDV or DV (the latter in 4:3 if you like) and although there won't be any more tape-based cameras introduced, tape will still be widely available for the millions of cameras that need it.

It will still shoot in either NTSC or PAL and its CCDs will still be handling electronic flash a lot better than your ex A1. It will still have a top-screen usable in direct sunlight. It will still accept XLRs. It will still be a well balanced, worthy workhorse and the NPF batteries are probably the most famous and plentiful on the planet.

Cameras that will be 'totally out of date' are those that were designed to shoot 4:3, those whose HDDs are full, those that use Mini DVD blanks.

tom.

Bob Hart September 16th, 2009 11:34 AM

If you do buy this camera, consider jumping the gun and getting a service, clean and if necessary an alignment of the path done by a Sony Professional dealership while the techs still have it fairly fresh in their minds.

The camera is of that "age" of operating hours where rubbing parts in the transport will have settled down and once re-aligned, might be expected to hold that alignment for most if not all the remaining useful life of the camera.

Paul Osborne September 18th, 2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cheung (Post 1356108)
I know the Z1 has been discontinued but I was wondering whether you guys thought this Z1 package from an acquaintance would be good value:

Sony HVR- Z1E HDV/DVCAM/DV Camcorder
Operation: 19x10H Drum: 10x10H Tape Run: 6x10H Threading: 27x10H

Sony 0.7x Wide Angle Converter
3 x NP-F970 High Capacity Batteries w/charger
Petrol Camera Case
Manfrotto 525/501 Tripod

The price for everything is £2,200 or $3,617

That sounds like a keen price to me. The 501, if looked after, should be more than adequate. The wide angle is an essential.

If you don't go through with the purchase, I have a similar combo (including a tele converter as well) for sale at a similarly keen price. Surrey UK