Shoulder mount for z1u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1
Trustee

Shoulder mount for z1u

Is there any word on when a shoulder mount will be available for the z1u, note I'm not talking about the ghetto $300 chest rest mount that you cna find a b&h but a true honest to goodness shoulder mount.

I've successfully rigged a shakey pistol grip for now but I would love to have a more permanent solution.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Nick, since there is nothing radically different about the FX1 / Z1 form factor, then just about any current shoulder support can be used. For instance, the DV Rig Pro comes to mind, it should be perfect for this camera. Check it out -- plus a variety of other supports -- at http://www.varizoom.com/pages/supportindex.php. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Anton Bauer Stasis with trimpac

I am planning using a Stasis, it provides shoulder support, battery power for the camera and UL2 light. If you add a triple tap to the light plug-in you could power 2 lectro wireless as well. The battery on the back behind your shoulders balances out the front heavy prosumer camcorders and also provides a gold mount for attaching a plate and wireless holders. I am used to using professional beta and dvc-pro cameras so I went looking for something that could make up for the ergonomic shortcomings of a prosumer camera. I am waiting till Apple perfects the HDV transfer codec before I make the leap into HDV but I have my eye on this camera. I called Anton Bauer and they said their batteries would work fine with the camera but it will not provide a battery status in the viewfinder. I have estimated I can run the camera, 25w batt light and 2 lectro wireless for 2 hours with everything on. It is expensive but it is versitile and made to last. It also folds the battery underneath the camera for a poor mans stabalizer, this is also the restingpositon. I like some weight on my tripod so you can use this fullly loaded with the Stasis as a pan arm. I don't mean to push this product but few people know about this multi-purpose setup outside of the professional realm. I have used Anton Bauer batteries and batt lights for over 10 years and I cannot imagine not having the juice and batt light not work for several hours without worry. I bought mine on ebay for less than $350, they are scarce on ebay but I have seen one up every 3 months. You can get all the info from the Anton bauer website.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Major Player

I bought a DVRig Pro with my FX1 and I love it.

It's fantastic. I was shooting the other day and was fully zoomed across the room on a guy's face and was holding it as steady as if I was right next to him, it looked great.

I'm so pleased with the purchase.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: Anton Bauer Stasis with trimpac

<<<-- Originally posted by Jerry Mohn : I am planning using a Stasis, it provides shoulder support, battery power for the camera and UL2 light. -->>>

I've had the Stasis out with the Z1 on demo. To put it bluntly it doesn't work well with this camera's design. The viewfinder and LCD are mounted higher on this camera than on previous designs of DV camersa. One is constanly looking up at them at an uncomfortable angle when shooting level. I had high hopes for this rig but without a redesign from AB it's a no-go.
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

we used a stasis on a DVX100A...well, we did for about a day. Man what a pain in the nuts. Bad design, the battery back there was nice, but the thing just felt very awkward.
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Anton Bauer Stasis with trimpac

I've had the Stasis out with the Z1 on demo. To put it bluntly it doesn't work well with this camera's design. The viewfinder and LCD are mounted higher on this camera than on previous designs of DV camersa. One is constanly looking up at them at an uncomfortable angle when shooting level. I had high hopes for this rig but without a redesign from AB it's a no-go. -->>>

I am confused on why the shop demo'd the camera with a shoulder mount that did not work. Not a good sales job. Someone must think it works if they are trying to sell you a camera married to this rig.

I appreciate the point about the viewfinder being higher, that would be a bummer if you had to look up, throwing off your balance. I would not use the LCD on the shoulder so I assume you were using the eyepiece when you had to look up?

The Stasis worked great for me with a pd-150 and dvx100a but every person has their own flavor. I can't use the rigs attached to your waist, not even a concept with me. or that thing that suspends it with a crane thing above your shoulders. I like Derrkserra's rig the most outside of the Stasis, now if he could just get a goldmount on the back for a trimpac to power the camera and a batt light. I have to have my hands on the lens and zoom with my eye tight against the viewfinder, for me there is no other way. Thanks for sharing your experience here:)
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Check out the shoulder mount I built for $ 50 here:

http://617pg.com/dvinfo/Camerarig.JPG

I shoot for an entire day with very little strain, as the counterbalance is a great help.
Derek Serra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

>>I am confused on why the shop demo'd the camera with a shoulder mount that did not work. Not a good sales job. Someone must think it works if they are trying to sell you a camera married to this rig. <<

They hadn't tried the rig with the Z1 yet, but as I was going out the door I mentioned that it would be neat to have a shoulder mount with an Anton Bauer counterbalance and he brought it out The viewfinder was just too high to use and I have a long neck.

Overall the design of the Stasis, while solid, was not as well thought out as it could have been. Derek's mount while not as flexible, would probably sit better on the shoulder..
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Bummer

<<<-- The viewfinder was just too high to use and I have a long neck. -->>>

I have a short neck, the Stasis might end up on Ebay if Panasonic can't compete with HDV at the NAB.

Again, thanks for your response. I really appreciate it although I am a little disassembled now:(
Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

There is a new shoulder mount available here in the UK for the Z1 with a pistol grip but can find no reference to it anywhere else. Its not the VCT-FXA model for the FX1, but looks good and better than the alternatives.

Go to: http://www.optexint.com/hdv/index.html and click on accessories.
Jonathan Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:53 AM   #12
Go Cycle

Re: Re: Anton Bauer Stasis with trimpac

I concur.....the Stasts is misaligned.

<<<-- Originally posted by David Cherniack : <<<-- Originally posted by Jerry Mohn : I am planning using a Stasis, it provides shoulder support, battery power for the camera and UL2 light. -->>>

I've had the Stasis out with the Z1 on demo. To put it bluntly it doesn't work well with this camera's design. The viewfinder and LCD are mounted higher on this camera than on previous designs of DV camersa. One is constanly looking up at them at an uncomfortable angle when shooting level. I had high hopes for this rig but without a redesign from AB it's a no-go. -->>>
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:04 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Talked to Anton Bauer

They were in some disbelief that the Stasis would not work with this popular camera. I doubt a solution will come before NAB. Taking a look at the new Panasonic, even though it was under a silk scarf; it looks like it will run into the same problem, a viewfinder that is too high. A shoulder support needs to drop the camera below shoulder level to work. I would not consider using the flip out LCD for shoulder work. What a bummer, I need my UL-2 light:(
Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:46 AM   #14
Major Player

Cavision has a reasonably priced unit
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Has anyone actually tried the CAVISION shoulder pad/rails/handle setup?

The three Toronto-area retailers don't stock it to try it. I'd buy one if I knew it would work for me and my Z1.

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1