My Chrosziel 450HDV has arrived! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 1st, 2005, 11:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My Chrosziel 450HDV has arrived!

Hello,
Took delivery of my 450-hdv kit today and was quite surprised. I was expecting a slightly re-designed 411-53 box (chrosziels dv matte box for the DVX;XL2 etc.).
However the 450 is a completely new design. Clearly designed for a 16:9 camera it is a little heavier in build quality, deeper than the 411 and 16:9 in shape. It has two filter holders: a rotating 4x4 and a fixed 4 x 5.65 tray.
Strangely, it is not a side loader but bottom loading. But because of the support bars you will still have to remove it from the camera to load the filters!
Still, it looks pretty good and was worth the price.

Jonathan
Jonathan Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Congrats, Jonathan!

If you feel like it, please take some pics and email them to me; I'd love to host them for our readers. Be sure to give us a report about how you're liking it -- when you get a chance, that is!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris- happy to do that. What is your e-mail address?

Jonathan
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Major Player

There needs to be a new rule that you can't post about new gear you've got unless you post pictures! :)

Can't wait to see the kit!
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:30 PM   #5
Major Player

You have to remove it to add/remove filters??????

(shakin' my head)
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM   #6
New Boot

How much does something like that cost and where did ya get it? Also, did you get the focus control?
Tony Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, first, I promise I will post some pics tomorrow, hopefully!

Shannon, I was, like many, expecting side loading trays but they have gone for bottom loading. You can rotate the 4x4 so I suppose you can slide the box forward a little on the rails to load. But the other tray is fixed so it would have to come off. Blame Sony for making things awkward!

Bryan, Tony I bought it here from a dealer in the UK for £650 (about $1,250) plus a 17.5% sales tax that foriegn buyers don't pay. For that you get the MB, lightweight support, 15mm rods, french flag, mountings on the MB for side wings and a 72mm adaptor ring. I do also have the Follow focus rig, , (which I bought for my old DVX100) but am waiting for the focus gear from chrosziel to arrive.

Jonathan.
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

"But because of the support bars you will still have to remove it from the camera to load the filters! "

You've got to be kidding! That's not very practical - and you say this is redesigned for the Z1! More reason for me to start work on my own matte box.
Derek Serra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:40 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Jonathan!
Did you have or use the 411-53 before with your DVX - do you still have it or tried it with your Z1 (or FX1)? I'm currently using a DVX100A with the 411-53 too and plan to switch to the Z1 - thus I'm interested if the 411-53 can still be used without to heavy vignetting or other negative effects (when fully zoomed out / max wide angle)...
Thanks!
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Soeren,
Yes I had the 411 on my DVX and also hoped it would fit the Z1 but no luck- that mic overhang has really caused problems. I had a couple of engineers look at my 411 to see if it could be re-assembled to fit the Z1 but they both said it would be very difficult and doubt it would work anyway.

Vocas did tell me their professional MB's the '300' '320', '350' would fit a Z1 but it didn't look like it to me. The fact that chrosziel came up with a 16:9 shaped MB says a lot.

You may just have to sell on your kit and use it to buy a replacement as I did.

Jonathan
Old March 1st, 2005, 03:56 PM   #11
Regular Crew

*sigh*
And I thought the MB would be the least thing that I'd have to sell and buy a new replacement for. :-/

What was the biggest problem or what problems did you encounter? That "internal" (hrhr) mic thing being in the way of the filter holders or other things too?
And vignetting?

To my knowledge a 16:9 MB from Chrosziel is already available for quite some time... perhaps they only packaged it into a new "HDV kit" or does anybody know if they really came up with a complete MB redesign? Somehow I doubt that...
:-(
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Ultimately, it was the issue of clearance underneath the mic that was the problem, I fear. As well as the height adjustment issue on the lightweight support to get it to actually fit the lens.

It may well be an adaption of a current product (it does look like the 416 series of 16:9 MB's).

Strangely enough, if you watch the Joey Eldred clip at Sundance he has a Z1 fitted with a Chrosziel MB and it definitely isn't the new 450 kit. They must have found a way of getting one to fit the Z1 somehow!?

Jonathan
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info!
Yes I had exactly the same thought or impression when watching the Eldred clip... it gave me sort of hope that it would work out with the "old" one. ;-)
Nonetheless it looked kind of very close/tight and kind of "wrong" or at least sort of improvised...
Well I'll try it out myself and post here if it was successful or a big failure. 8-)
Soeren Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1