DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/40360-z1-settings.html)

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 1st, 2005 04:47 PM

Z1 settings

Anyone got picture profile settings they'd like to share?

I've built one of my faves:
CF 30
Gamma #2
Skin #2
Black Stretch off (unless it's barely lit)
Sharpness 12

I want to experiment a little for a "glamour" shot we've been asked to do for a local ball team owners wife. He wants to soften her. I've been shooting with the Tiffen Black Mist Pro #3 and loads of light, it's very sweet and sexy on an older woman's skin. (read "invisible wrinkles)

Arne Johnson March 5th, 2005 05:54 PM

I don't have any settings yet, cause I won't have the camera for a few weeks, but I had a question about settings. We'll be test-driving the Z1 for a weekend, doing a documentary shoot that's mostly run-and-gun with a little interview footage. We'd like to be able to cut the footage in with some other footage we shot with the DVX100a, on 24p standard. It doesn't have to match exactly, but would be nice if we could make the looks not seem like they're from different planets. Ideas? CF25, 30, 24? Gamma? The settings mentioned above, then alter in post? Etc...

Thanks,

Arne

Dave Elston March 5th, 2005 07:54 PM

Hi Spot,

This could turn out to be a very lengthy thread... to which I'll add my own tidbit;

The colour correction tool on the Z1 is a bit of a secret weapon for anyone after a 'unique' colour look. Of course, in post you can achieve any palette you desire, but the results will always be limited by the bit depth of the captured footage.
Using the on-camera cc tool you are benefitting from the more refined abilities of the 14bit DX(?)P - so I have started playing around with it and found it to be pretty subtle (read USEFUL) when treated carefully.

There are extremes you can go to - pushing reds / blues, or you can hold back the stronger hues and shift the the lower sat parts in any direction.

Heres one setup that works well with a slightly desaturated PP...

TYPE - COLOR REVISN
MEMORY SELECT 1&2
MEM1 COLOR - PHASE 30 / RANGE 19 / SATURATION 2
MEM1 REVISN - R -15 / B -15
MEM2 COLOR - PHASE 22 / RANGE 18 / SATURATION 2
MEM2 REVISN - R -15 / B -15

In conjunction with WB shift and the other PP settings there is no limit to how you can 'paint' the image and save yourself a lot of work in post in the process - which, with the current software/hardware limitations HDV poses, this might be seen as a godsend.

any more thoughts or tips, lets hear 'em ... :0) Dave.

Filip Kovcin March 5th, 2005 08:02 PM

this sounds interesting,

will try right now.

btw - what shutter speed looks best for you?

i mean what shutter speed reproduces more natural movement etc. (in CF modes)

thanks,

filip

Dave Elston March 5th, 2005 08:58 PM

Hi Filip,

I have had the Z1 for a little over a fortnight, and I am waiting for a few filters and extras before I go out and about to shoot some full tests with it. The cc tool however can be easily configured and tested indoors without any moving subjects.

When shooting in CF25, 80% of the time it will be with a shutter of 50, using higher settings for certain subjects / scenes.

I expect to shoot at 50i for run & gun shoots where I cannot make the best of the CF mode. This way, I can still deinterlace in post and produce smoother slo-mos if needed.

CF 25 has its uses and is great for 'normal speed' action - particularly if you have time to setup, rehearse and test the shot (often a luxury on low budget stuff) - otherwise I'll mainly prefer to rely on the extra options that 50i offers in post.

Anyone want to share comments and experience on taking this camera on a real-world job?

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 6th, 2005 12:48 AM

Keep em' coming, guys!
I've got an idea that will benefit everyone, if I can get a dozen or so in here.

Filip Kovcin March 6th, 2005 11:06 AM

hm, Douglas can you tell us more? sounds misterious, but very teasing... what is it?

i hope something nice!

filip

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 6th, 2005 02:28 PM

Mystery....a good thing. :-)
Can't share just yet. I'm waiting for Sony to confirm something...

Johan Manders March 6th, 2005 04:12 PM

Now you're making me curious too Douglas!

Filip Kovcin March 6th, 2005 06:35 PM

ok. if i say what i think - this thread will be imediatelly sent to area 51.
so, i do not want to speculate. but - can you tell us at least WHEN you will know more...

but - please - do not use this phrase from shakespeare: "it's a mistery..."

filip

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 6th, 2005 09:04 PM

I HOPE to know more on Wednesday, we're currently in NYC for the B&H "Now Hear This" event, then off to Park Ridge, NJ for a meeting with Sony on Wednesday. IF they confirm my question/statement, I'll share. If not, I'll let you know that I was full of cr**.

Dave Elston March 10th, 2005 06:09 PM

Hi Spot,

What news from Park Ridge ?

Something for the weekend, or no ?
;0)

Dave.

Shannon Rawls March 10th, 2005 08:28 PM

It's Thursday!!!

*smile*

Douglas Spotted Eagle March 10th, 2005 09:12 PM

Sorry guys, I'm full of crap.
See....Picture Profiles can be saved off the cam in Service Mode. Sony Japan will not allow users to access Service Mode for obvious reasons. My hope was that there might be a way to "access" it without exposing the guts of the cam, so that we might have a way to use the datastream of 1394 to upload/download/share PP settings. I really wanted to share my PP with you, but it is not possible.
It was a hope....Maybe in a future rev.
So, stay patient, Plan B is now in effect.

Filip Kovcin March 12th, 2005 02:37 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : Sorry guys, I'm full of crap.
See....Picture Profiles can be saved off the cam in Service Mode. Sony Japan will not allow users to access Service Mode for obvious reasons. -->>>

Douglas,

do you think that thru lanc adapter, as in cheaper models you can access service mode? maybe there is a way to do this. remember those "cheap" cameras just with DV out solution? after some work people discovered a way to go also in opposite (DV IN) way. thanks to that lanc adapters/remotes...

maybe someone knows more about lanc?

filip