DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 and Sony MC1 CF Card recorder unit (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/404889-z1-sony-mc1-cf-card-recorder-unit.html)

Paul Osborne September 16th, 2009 11:47 AM

Z1 and Sony MC1 CF Card recorder unit

A long shot-
has anyone used a Z1 with the sony MC1 CF card recorder unit (that normally is bundled with a Z7 and Z5)?

According to the Sony Biz site they are compatible, and I have done a quick trial with both bits of kit... but it doesn't quite perform as I expected - when I am using the MC1's 14 second cache mode.
The MC1 is connected via a firewire cable, and the Z1 is set to "external control" - but the Z1 menu options are either Synchronous, or Relay -ie it requires the tape to record as well as the CF recorder in both cases. This might have been OK except that when later reviewing the CF clip it has a momentary freeze of the visuals at the point where the tape starts to record - just as the cache is completed.

The newer Z7 handles this differently, and has a 3rd option, "External device only" - that bypasses the tape, but still retains the run/stop functionality of the camera, and records seamlessly the 14 sec. cache and any extra footage.

The only workaround with the Z1 is to not have synchronous recording mode and so lose the run/stop button function on the camera. Then you can record only by pressing the record button on the MC1 unit...a real compromise on workflow.

Playback from the MC1 thru' the Z7 to the LCD and any monitor connected works very well.

Has anyone any insight...or do I need a Z5 or FX7 instead? (or even a FX1000?)

Brett Griffin September 27th, 2009 03:24 AM

I to have the HVR-MRC1K and it only works in the way you described. Either with a tape in Synchro or as a stand-alone if you press the record buttons on the unit.

Ronnie Martin October 31st, 2009 01:39 PM

I was about to ask the same question. My main camera is the sony EX-3 and my back up is the Zu1 which I have had for several years. I also have the HRV 270 and it also has the
HVRMRC1K and I thought about trying it with the Zu1. I always have a tape in the 270 as a back up when shooting with the HVRMRC1K. That at least gives me some back up and an archive of the original footage.

Question: With the tape in the Zu1 and the HVRMRC1K recording to a CF card does it work properly as it does when using the same setup with the 270 or Zu7?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Page 1

Paul Osborne November 1st, 2009 10:03 AM

I have now extensively run the CF recorder connected via firewire to the Z1 and the new FX1000. Both perform the same, in Follow mode with a tape inserted, using the camera run/stop button.

Incidentally, the FX1000 is a superb camera in comparison to the Z1 - the lens, the ergonomics, the light levels, the slight change in manual/auto operation.

Marcus Martell November 6th, 2009 03:41 PM

Wht's the most space-available card i could use with it?

thx

Pete Cofrancesco November 6th, 2009 07:54 PM

Largest card that is cost effective is 32gb @ $100-150. 64gb @ $600 is too expensive.

Marcus Martell November 7th, 2009 11:20 AM

Brand suggetsed?

thx here in Eu i gotta find a good brand for that!

Gabor Heeres November 11th, 2009 04:36 AM

In my S270 I used Transcend. Never had a problem with it.

Eric Bakko November 16th, 2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Osborne (Post 1360877)
The only workaround with the Z1 is to not have synchronous recording mode and so lose the run/stop button function on the camera. Then you can record only by pressing the record button on the MC1 unit...a real compromise on workflow.

Paul,

I am afraid that is the only work around.