Z1 secret plug - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 8th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #16
Major Player

you read my mind.

filip
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

<< it's still strange that they disabled the other option, and left it physically there. >>

It leads you to believe that it was first designed for the consumer division, and then adopted for the professional division. From a camera production standpoint, it may have been more economical to leave it there and add the cover.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #18
Major Player

chris,

you are absolutelly right, the money rules here, but i can BET that when i tested DEMO Z1 camera (the unit which was shown on IBC last year) the plug which was used was that old style plug. so if this worked on demo version - why not on final?

the thing i do not understand is - why to heck someone is covering something which WORKS - even if this is just for a few seconds?

to sell more lithium batteries?

maybe i'm too curious.

filip
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #19
Regular Crew

If I were guessing, the Z1 is simply the FX-1 with new firmware. The demo unit you got probably was still written with a lot of the FX-1 features and they "hadn't gotten to it yet". Another example is the mic holder on the Z1. there is a cover on the FX-1 hiding the mounting hardware for the clamp.

Does the dummy battery have any circuitry? Could it be the PAL / NTSC issue? Power standards?
Mike Tiffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #20
Contributor

> you can even use that plug for feeding the power and switch on
> the camera, BUT after a while - the lcd screens shows:
> "use lithium battery" and swithces OFF. completelly.

Filip, are you using an older Sony power supply to feed the cam through this plug? Perhaps the message is just a standard error message and it is simply not supplying enough power. If so, the plug and circuitry might be fully operational!

If it's a firmware issue we can sure ask Sony tu update the firmware so the plug can be used, right? And while they are at it, they could enable DVCAM track pitch for the HDV mode... uhh... well, I can dream, can't I? <grin>
Old March 8th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

It would take somebody with an FX1 power supply, a Z1 camera and a screwdriver to tell us for certain.

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #22
Major Player

If anyone wants to send me their Z1 for testing, I'd be happy to try it out.

:)
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #23
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Rodriguez : Filip, are you using an older Sony power supply to feed the cam through this plug? ... -->>>

Ignacio,

i am using power supply from my HDV M10 player/recorder, so i beleive that this (at least) should be the same generation...
but i will try with FX1 power supply if i can find one in my neighbourhood.
will tell you then.

filip
Old March 8th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Its interesting that my old Hi8 VX3 also has the dummy battery adapter. Seems like Sony went back a lot to the past--dummy battery adapter, exactly the same manual controls as the old VX3!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #25
Major Player

i just saw a "dangerous" situation - and want to warn you about it.

my my friend was shooting "table photography" for documentary film. (papers, photographies, small things etc.) and during this shoot he had his pd150 plugged in usual way - no batteries, but thru adapter. and in certain moment he forgot about the wire of that adapter and CROSSED that "barier" line, means he pushes the wire strongly by his body - and the power plug pops off the camera.

nothing special. but his camera was on relativelly light tripod, and despite some work - to shoot the same shot again everything went fine.

but!

let's pretend that Z1 was used here - what will happend?
you cross that line where the wire is and since the whole dummy battery adapter is firmly connected with the camera - in worst case, it will pull down the camera also...

what do you think?

filip
Old March 12th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #26
Regular Crew

What I think ?

I think: I see more cables than this on the set.
Thas not really a reason to claim for a plug that slips out of the camera. Maybe even if your panning.

I like this Z1-solution better. But a serious plug like XLR connector would be of course the professional solution.

Somehow they dont want certain thing on such prosumer models.

So dont panic on the set :)

Greetings

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #27
Major Player

I know this is an old discussion but has anything further been discovered about this hidden plug? Sony can be really weird sometimes.
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Fx1

Yes, everyone, that closed off plug, is the same plug I use on my FX1 for charging my batteries on camera, and for AC power.
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #29
Wrangler

Personally I'm not interested in plugging my Z1 into an AC line, and I especially don't want to do it through a plug that Sony has intentionally disabled. Read back through old threads here and you'll find several FX1 owners who've had camera problems requiring repairs while the charger was plugged in. I have 2 NP-F970's and a NP-F960; that's all that ever powers my camcorder. Just seems like one less thing to worry about for me...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #30
Major Player

Yeah just seen my Z1E as it
David Dwyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1