Z1 secret plug - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 7th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #31
Inner Circle

I expect It's blanked off because if you were to plug in a Z1 dummy battery type adapter and then accidentaly plugged in a mains adapter or other power source into the T socket you would risk blowing both power units and the Z1 as the T connection would try to charge the dummy battery power adapter. Minimum you could expect is a blown fuse or two, most is a burning camera.

I also suspect that the socket is blanked off as many pro users will use 12v adpters or some other battery adapter to power the camera. As many of these would be non Sony products and possibly capable of providing very high current, by forcing you to remove the battery to power the camera they take away the risk of a power supply being used that could send too much current to the lithium battery and cause it to over charge and possibly explode.

When lithium batteries are over charged or shorted the cells resistance falls, unlike nicads where the resistance rises. When this happens you get a thermal runaway situation and the cell will take more and more current and get hotter and hotter until it either explodes or catches fire. Thats why airlines restrict the size and quantity of lithium batteries that can be carried on aircraft. Most lithium battery packs made by reputable manufacturers contain special thermal and over current protection circuits that should in most cases prevent this from happening, but many generic cheap packs do not.

In addition I prefer the dummy battery as it can't be pulled out or fall out mid shot, also the T plug sticks out quite a way and would be very easy to snap of.
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #32
Major Player

Re the mic mount on the FX1.. if you remove the small plastic cover (two screws) there are indeed two holes which go into the chassis by the VCR controls.

I seem to remember seeing a close up Z1 picture which has a small adapter screwed in this position, which in turn takes the Z1 mic mount.

I've actually screwed the Creative video mic mount into these holes and it works very nicely....however I saw a chap do a cheaper option by simply screwing a Beyer dynamics EA86 mount on the side...

these mounts help if you want to use a non stock mic and keep your hotshoes free for a light...

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Watkins
I seem to remember seeing a close up Z1 picture which has a small adapter screwed in this position, which in turn takes the Z1 mic mount.
I've removed the mount from my Z1 because I don't use it and don't like it hanging off the LCD screen. The "small adaptor" you're talking about is visible here. What's in this spot on the FX1? A plastic cap of some kind?

http://greenmist.com/hdv/mattebox/6x02.JPG
http://greenmist.com/hdv/mattebox/16x01.JPG
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #34
Trustee

Some heavy piece or rubber that has no apparent purpose.
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #35
Major Player

Hi Boyd

I bet you that the bit where the holes are in your pictues, unscrews to leave the same moulded metal mount as on the FX1...
This is, as Steve says covered with a rubber cap, when you by the camera....
I actually find this a good place for my mic... it is far enough back that doesn't get in the way of the lens, and allows me to use an AT897 with a lightwave windgag

cheers
G
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1