DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Z1 secret plug (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/40572-z1-secret-plug.html)

Filip Kovcin March 5th, 2005 08:34 PM

Z1 secret plug

on european model of Z1 which i have (the difference is that instead of "U" at the end it has "E" - everythig else is the same) i discovered today weard thing...

on the back side of the camera, just next to that barrel button (SEL/PUSH EXEC) there is plastic cover. if you unscrew it and open it you can find "classical" sony plug which we all know from pd100, 150 etc.

you can even use that plug for feeding the power and switch on the camera, BUT after a while - the lcd screens shows: "use lithium battery" and swithces OFF. completelly.

after disconecting, i used normal battery and everything worked perfectly.

do you know what is going on with this? why this is covered?
i remember when i tested the Z1 prototype - that plug was working normally.

filip

p.s.

if this is not so clear - i can send a precise photo somewhere, to suggested site or person. i do not have possibility to publish it on web.

Chris Hurd March 6th, 2005 01:21 AM

Hi Filip,

Please send that image to me via email. I can host it here for you. Thanks,

Filip Kovcin March 6th, 2005 06:21 AM

chris,

pictures are flying to you.

thanks,

filip

Chris Hurd March 7th, 2005 12:13 AM

Hi Filip,

Images are located at:

www.hdvinfo.net/images/z1pluga.jpg
www.hdvinfo.net/images/z1plugb.jpg
www.hdvinfo.net/images/z1plugc.jpg
www.hdvinfo.net/images/z1plugd.jpg

Joonas Kiviharju March 7th, 2005 01:51 AM

Hmm, strange. What's the thing with that screw. On the FX1E there's no screw if I remember correctly. That cover just opens and you can use the power adapter through it. And you can even charge your batteries on the FX1E.

How is it with the Z1? Isn't it possible to use a power adapter instead of batteries?

Filip Kovcin March 7th, 2005 03:17 AM

Chris,
thanks for publishing the pictures.

Joonas,

no it is not (for now, he, he...) possible to use this plug. i do not understand why?

you have that "semi battery" adapter and Z1 works fine with it, but not with "normal" adapter (it's plug fits that secret one on the back of the camera).

filip

Pete Williams March 7th, 2005 11:39 AM

Mmmmm curious.....

Hi guys,
My first post. New kid on the forum block. I have just bought the Z1 and have the regulated NRG research (great place for lights power etc) power lead that enables you to power pd 150 from 12v Anton Bauer or other batts. It has the 'T' power end as discovered. I have this 'secret input' on my cam as well. I am itching to try run the Z1 on Antons, but due to the greater wattage draw of the Z1, am a bit nervous that the regulator may pop and I fry the back end of the Z1.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Cheers

Christopher C. Murphy March 7th, 2005 12:12 PM

My Z1 has it too!

Bryan McCullough March 7th, 2005 12:23 PM

If this isn't used for external power on the Z1, what is?

Filip Kovcin March 7th, 2005 02:32 PM

it looks for me that this is "forgotten feature".

i didn't compare it, but - is the body of FX1 identical in size as the body of Z1? if both models are identical in size - maybe this is something what works just on Fx1? and was forgotten and left on Z1.

but, again - why inside that plug everithing - in electrical way - works normally (despite error on lcd display)? what for?

and another thought - isn't that "secret" type of plug more "normal" solution than that strange style via "semi battery" adapter? at least for me that normal plug was good enough. i use it with my mavica cd photo camera, with pd 150 and why not with Z1?
do not understand that sony's approach.

filip

Pete Williams March 7th, 2005 02:55 PM

More bucks....

My guess is that it introduces a new adapter that discourages using existing ones and encourages the stocking up of Lithium batts , rather than running it all day on a 12v brick.....may be wrong.
Seems like Sony have put a software block to further discourage this...ie shutting down the cam.....unless it is a safety feature that , once again , goes back to my question of frying the back end...
I am still hesitant to try the NRG power adapter....that I bought at this company...
http://www.nrgresearch.com/

Chris Hurd March 7th, 2005 03:00 PM

<< is the body of FX1 identical in size as the body of Z1? >>

Yes. The chassis is the same on both models.

Mike Tiffee March 7th, 2005 07:17 PM

On the FX-1, that's the plug that powers the camera or charges the batteries in-camera. where is the power plug on the Z1 ??

Filip Kovcin March 8th, 2005 01:15 AM

well, that's the problem.

there is no any "normal" plug which powers the camera, just that "semi battery" adapter.

filip

Joonas Kiviharju March 8th, 2005 01:51 AM

Oh, I see what you mean. You power the Z1 with a kind of an dummy battery, that has a wire, that goes in to the power adapter.

Well, that kind of a dummy battery is better than the standard power cord. It doesn't fall of while shooting. But, it's still strange that they disabled the other option, and left it physically there.