50i vs 60i for film transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Major Player

50i vs 60i for film transfer

Okay, about to order a PAL Fx-1, just about to bite the bullet, just wanted to get feedback in my one last chance--I'm only interested in shooting projects with the possiblity of transfering to film--nothing else.

Can't afford the Z1--at all, please don't try to recommend it. In the past I've heard that 50i is better than 60i for transferring to film, is this still what most people think? I'm probably going to drop most of my bank account on this decision tomorrow so I sure don't want to mess up:)
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Betsy,

Your single best bet here is to first choose the film transfer house that you want to deal with, and then follow their recommendations regarding how you should shoot. Different film transfer facilities use different methods -- some prefer interlace, some progressive, some PAL, some NTSC. There are a variety of options. I think you should establish a relationship with the facility first, and then follow their guidelines to the letter. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #3
Trustee

Do read this article:

http://www.swisseffects.ch/HDVto35mm_1.pdf

If you are going to go to film I would strongly advise to pick a PAL camera.

But it is not the only way to go to film, and if you live in the USA it might not be easy to get rid of a PAL camera after you shoot your project. Shooting in NTSC and using a lab to do the film transfer might be an option, as long as you are not shooting an action movie.

Some tests should be in order, whatever the system you will use, if possible recreating actual situations from your screenplay. Have them transferred to film, paying attention at the weak points and how to correct them.

Shooting in PAL will avoid unnecessary and expensive processing of your images.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Chris and Carlos,

Great advice as always, I think I will contact a transfer house before hand but PAL does seem the way to go.

Saw the FX1 at the Apple Store this weeken, this is exciting!:)
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1