how much better is HDV when its downrezed to SD??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #16

DV is ITU601. HD is ITU 709. This isn't something that "only Douglas knows." ITU 601 is not mapped the same as colors on the web. On the other hand, ITU 709 is, therefore making it "more web-friendly."
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Nicholas,

Sorry about getting your thread sidetracked, but one thing about "color resolution" is the ability to key cleanly. The ability to key speaks volumes about color information.

Most productions I work on don't set up HD cameras and SD cameras side-by-side. The producers either rent all HD or all SD to keep consistant image quality, so it might be kind of rare to have "professional" setups using both technologies. However, if you go to my page, I have the FX-1 (HD) compared to the one-chip Optura XI (SD). I set up both cameras during an audition taping. You can simply download the images and re-rez the FX-1 footage to 720x480 to get an idea of how it compares to the XI (granted it's not a 3-chipper, but prepare to be blown away that the images don't look that much different - a testament to Canon's DV Digic chip).

www.pseudofilms.com/compare
Xander Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #18
Regular Crew

No problem Xander. I do apologize for overreacting. This is a fascinating forum and I see why this issue of color keying was important to address. I will try to learn as much as possible about all this.

Thanks very much for your input.

- Nicholas
Nicholas Natteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hi Xander,

Can you tell me where in your web site you've posted those comparison images. The link isn't working on my Mac. I went to your site but couldn't find the page in question.

Thank you in advance,

- Nicholas
Nicholas Natteau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1