60i->24p or 50i->24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #1
Trustee

60i->24p or 50i->24p?

What would be the best way to convert Z1 footage to 24p? Using a Magic Bullet-type 60i conversion, or using the camera in PAL mode and altering the framerate? Has anyone done comps? Thanks a lot!
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #2

Doing this right now. Vegas does a wonderful job of converting, Premiere is fair, Ulead's Media Studio Pro can't do it, Edition probably does, but I've not tested it with this latest shootout round. Final Cut looks very good, so does Avid Express. (we're releasing a 24p help tool at NAB, so I've been testing a lot of software)
Magic Bullet or DVFilm are both quite good, but if it's just the conversion and no film look you're after...the apps overall do a very good job.
If you use Sony Vegas, I've got a tutorial on how to accomplish this on the VASST site, in addition to the Celluloid and Ultimate S tools that we've already released having this capability.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: 60i->24p or 50i->24p?

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : What would be the best way to convert Z1 footage to 24p? Using a Magic Bullet-type 60i conversion, or using the camera in PAL mode and altering the framerate? Has anyone done comps? Thanks a lot! -->>>

To get 24p you still need to do the magic bullet effect on the 50i footage, unless you are going to shoot CF25.

Common sense suggests shooting 50i, "smart" de-interlacing and then reducing the speed 4% as the best option, but common sense is not always reliable.

If you have a Z1, it would be best to try some tests and assess the results first hand.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Trustee

Douglas, are you starting with 60i or 50i?
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #5
New Boot

When you de-interlace footage from the Z1 do you have to decrease the resolution and downconvert to SD or is it possible to do this with HD yet?
Ashton Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Depending on the plug-ins on your NLE, it is possible to de-interlace in HD resolution, or DVFilm Maker can do this as a standalone app.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #7
RED Problem Solver

Film Effects is working good on 60i and 50i from the Z1 in FCP. Both for smart de-interlace and 24p from 60i conversion. You can work in HD too.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #8
Major Player

You would want to always deinterlace before resizing.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1