FX1000 lens on an FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Major Player

FX1000 lens on an FX1?

Does anyone know if the lens on the FX1000 is interchangeable with the body of an FX1?

The FX1000 has a 20x zoom instead of a 12....
Old September 20th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
Does anyone know if the lens on the FX1000 is interchangeable with the body of an FX1?

The FX1000 has a 20x zoom instead of a 12....
Someone may prove me wrong but i am pretty sure no.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Wrangler

Do you really think you can tear apart an FX1 and an FX1000 and switch the lenses? That's not very likely to succeed and you will end up with two broken cameras. The lenses are not interchangeable and there would be lots of issues with both the hardware and firmware. This should give you an idea of what it's like to take an FX1 apart: SONY HDR-FX1 Camcorder Service

Makes much more sense to just buy a camera with a lens that you like...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Major Player

I wouldn't be doing the work, I would have a Sony authorized repair center do it.

Nobody makes an underwater housing for the FX1000 and nobody will, but the lens sure is slick.
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Nobody makes an underwater housing for the FX1000 and nobody will, but the lens sure is slick.
Wouldn't a compact 0.6-0.8x wide adapter on the FX1 make a better sense? Or those housings that are available don't have enough space for an adapter to fit in? I understand your crave for the wide end of the FX1000 but since the tele end probably won't be of much use underwater, a wide adapter on the FX1 would do (if it can fit).
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:35 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
I wouldn't be doing the work, I would have a Sony authorized repair center do it.
Please let us know what they say when you ask if this can be done.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Um, before or after they stop laughing...

I'm sure it's attractive to think of swapping subassemblies (I've thought of trying it myself... really like to see a EXMOR R sensor in a different camera), but you're dealing with tight tolerances, and particularly with "all in one" cameras, you can be fairly sure that everything is down to thousandths of an inch.

It's not just take one piece of this, one bit of that, duct tape & Krazy glue together and voila... which is most unfortunate because it would be rather fun to play with that way!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #8
Major Player

It's actually not the wide angle I am after, it is the 20x zoom instead of the FX1's 12x.

I have a +3.5 Schneider achromatic diopter screwed on with .003" clearance from the inside of the dome port, so if I had a 20x zoom instead of 12x, I may have a better magnification ability if it can focus.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1