How many are using regular dv tape ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Major Player

How many are using regular dv tape ?

and getting good results w/ few , if any dropouts. Could we have a little poll ? thanks - Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm using Sony Premium tape only with no problems. It was the first tape in the camera and I'm sticking with them.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I won't use the cheap stuff. The good stuff is very affordable, saving $2-5 bucks isn't worth it IMHO. Compared to D1, Digibeta, HDCam, etc...these tapes are just so cheap, so get the best....unless your footage isn't worth it LOL!!
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Sean - it looks to me like more of a $10 difference though. Over at cow , there's a thread running with the opposite theme- that people are getting good results using $3 tapes . Now is this just a Sony marketing ploy or is it about that 1/25th of 1% that might get lost. Maybe I could live with that - I'd like to know that's an option anyway. I mean if your shooting a narrative piece that depends on the momentary, never repeatable effort of many people - then obviously go for the best tape but if more casual efforts could get by on less , then that possiblity should be explored . thanks- Kurh
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Kurth, your reasoning is perfectly sound, except for one unknown factor -- the Cow article is talking about the new Sony tapes as having an incompatible lubricant, a repeat of 1996/1997 all over again.

Whether their facts are accurate or not remains to be determined, but the gist of the DVDoctor article is that if you mix the new Sony HDV tape with any other DV tape, you get clogged heads and gunk. So if you were to go with the high-quality HDV tapes, you may have to stay committed to them, and if you go with regular DV tapes, you may not really have the option to go to the high-quality stuff.

But that, to me, is unproven as of yet. It's just a summary of what the DVDoctor article is saying, which is the subject of the thread over at the cow.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #6
Major Player

I have ran 30 tapes through it, (non Sony, they use a wet lubricant, which means once you use Sony, you have to stick with it) not one dropped frame from el cheapo tapes (JVC $3.95)

Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Shannon < -- cheap $3 sony excellence.
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi, Kurth
I havn't had any trouble as long as I use sony tapes in my Z1.
I have used Sony excelence with just a few dropouts and Sony digital master tapes with no dropouts. I have decided to use digital master tapes.
I did have problems when I used my panasonic tapes in my Z1
I have had many tell me to not mix brands. I did learn a lesson that I won't repeat.
Murry Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It was only yesterday that I found a place selling the HDV tapes in the UK. I have been using the Sony Premium, like RDR. There is a £10 difference between each tape cost and at up to 10 tapes per event, that is a big difference in cost at my price level. At that rate it is cheaper to buy a direct-to-disk-solution or use a backup cam.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #10
Trustee

Murph <<---- Sony Excellence too. Best tape just shy of DigitalMaster
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm using TDK bulk from costco. I have 40 hours of footage shot and captured this way. I have about one dropout per 2 tapes, but I find that if I play over the dropout again it isn't ever there twice. So in that respect I haven't had any dropouts.
Thanks,
Eric James
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #12
Trustee

Can everyone tell me where they buy tape? I'm looking to buy some and I wonder where the cheapest is?

I have used www.taperesources.com until now - and of course B&H!
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm using Sony Premium, 4€ each. On the first five tapes I used there were about 3 dropouts while playback, and they all went away after rewinding. So after some 25 tapes, I have no permanent dropouts on any of them.
Joonas Kiviharju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Im using Panasonic PQ and MQ tapes. Not one dropout......
Tim Ashbrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #15
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson : I'm using Sony Premium tape only with no problems. It was the first tape in the camera and I'm sticking with them.

Robin -->>>

as i am too...

j
Joel Corral is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1