Hype/excitment Z1/FX1 over !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 26th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Hype/excitment Z1/FX1 over !!

Can we now get honest opinions about this camera? By now everyone which possesses this cam has tried all options and is now able to tell us how it compares to other cameras like the xl2 or PD170. I know it is difficult to be honest ones you both such an expensive cam and it turns out that it (maybe) has flaws you didn't expect but let's just give it a try!!!!!
Hans ter Lingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

All I know is that I am never going back to standard definition. I like the Sony and that is as big a cam as I want to use. I don't like shoulder cams, I know too many pros with bad backs.
The Sony is enough cam for me at the moment but when a model with d-t-d and progressive turns up, I will trade it in.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:58 AM   #3
Major Player

"when a model with d-t-d and progressive turns up, I will trade it in"

You may want to get ready then.
:)

JVC & Panasonic are right around the corner.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi all

It seems to me all these cameras are just tools... if they do the job then that's fine with me.

There are an awful lot of people who are simply in love with the gear and never use it to the full or don't need to use it to make a living.

The same was true when I was working for a news Agency as a news photographer.. We got given the cameras the agency bought.. not necessarily the latest wizzbang SLR, but a good pro camera.. they did the job. (I've seen rich amateur photographers at the French tennis open in the directors boxes, with far better gear than we used to use..LOL)

At the mo I've just got an FX1 because it seemed a more reasoned choice than the the PD170 (the SD 16:9 capability, was reason enough). Also it was cheaper than the XL2 and as I've used Sony before I prefer their ergonomics..

this camera will do the job I want it to do.. just like my original Eos 1 from 1992 still shoots great stills..

When I need 24p or HD I'll look for a new model..

I don't know, but to get this type of camera you need a good reason.. unless you have loads of wedge to waste..

anyway just my three euros worth on the gear subject...
Cheers

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #5
Trustee

It's awesome. The only downside is fast motion ain't so great, so run and gun videographers should consider that.
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I love it! I've now shot live action(Formula Racing) for TV, Super slow-mo to super fast-mo for a music video, and finally the past week I've been shooting a feature film. I have yet to find anything I don't like about this camera. I have shot hundreds of hours with a vx-2000 and a dvx-100a. I have also had a couple hours on the F900HD sony. I would say this cam, for what I need it for, blows away all of these other cameras.

Again, to get good results from any of these cameras you need to know how to shoot correctly. When you shoot correctly with the FX1 you will fall in love! It's just amazing to watch the footage each day. I still haven't gotten used to it.

If the newer HDV cam's are as good or better than the FX1 we are in for a very bright future. I don't know about all of you but all of this gets me very excited about being a film maker. We now have no excuses for making crappy videos, no blaming DV or anything else. We have the tools, they are CHEAP! Now let's all go out there and make it happen.

Thanks,
Eric James
Eric James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

I think it's safe to say that Sony has hit a solid home run with the FX1 / Z1 camcorders.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Going out on a limb here, I think the Z1 will become the #1 eng cam worldwide, which is a much bigger market than Independent feature makers. They don't need 'the film look', they need good enough to get the job done.
From a maintenance standpoint, you can get it fixed in any country Sony sells equipment.

And If you are doing any sort of syndicated live shows (Wild on..,Behind the Music..., place your boring self absorbed celebrity here...) this will be the camera to beat.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1