Z1 with Lite Panels - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 12th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

We had this discussion over a month ago and I wonder if anybody has a better solution than Lite Panels....They should be great but the on camera kit with bettery is already $1000....I am rethinking my original idea because may be it is a bit too pricey...ANy other GOOD solution ???
Thanks
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #17
Trustee

KinoFlo seems to have a beauty light that is around-the-lens ring.

They have it in both indoor and outdoor light settings by changing the fluorescent bulbs. I remember they advertised the unit to be powered by the camera's battery.

Is that what you're after?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Alex for your quick answer....I usually will use the matte box on the camera so the ring will not be a good idea....
Any good on camera light recommedations by anyone ??? I got my Z1 yesterday and I am pretty excited...I just need a good light.. for example in a museum where I need to light the person I am intervieing that sort of use I need it for...
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #19
Tourist

I have been using a Lite Panel and find it puts out a very soft light with enough punch to work as a fill light in overcast outdoor light or as a camera/eye light mounted on a Noga arm. The thing I particularly like is that I can power it from my Z-1 batteries through a power transformer available from Lorne Lapham Sales and Rental (www.llsr.com). I have found that the NP-F570 which came with the Z-1 will run my Lite Panel for about 1 hour 50 minutes before the Lithium Ion battery shuts down. Li-ion batteries have a factory shut-down circuit when they get warm. The battery and transformer setup is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket and weight only 220 grams or almost 8 ounces. When shooting on the Z-1 I only need one type of battery and charger, which is a great advantage when you are travelling light.

By the way, I believe that LEDs are often dimmed by limiting current and not voltage. I am not certain if this is the case with Lite Panels, which will run on voltage from 5 - 24 volt. Dimming is achieved in many LED devices by chopping the current, essentially turning the LEDs on and off at very high frequency. This is possible because they come to peak output almost instantaneously. You can't see the very high frequency strobing but the perceived light level is reduced.

Size of the whole rig is a great advantage. The Lite Panel, LLSR power adapter and 4 feet of curly cable all fit into a Pelican 1060 Micro Case weighing 2 lb 8 oz including case.

Comparison to Kino-Flo 12 inch Mini Flos: I have used the Mini Flos for several years, both mounted on a stand and velcroed to a matte-box. Until the Lite Panel came out they were my favourite on camera lights. Mini-Flos are great, a single unit can be run from the NP-F570/LLSR power adapter described above. Mini-Flo draws about 0.8 amps in comparison to the Lite Panel 0.6 amp. A Lite Panel without any diffusion puts out about 50% more light than a 12 inch Mini Flo. Soft frost on Lite Panel is pleasing. The real drawback for travelling doc shooters, in my experience, is that the Mini-Flo tube is fragile (so you will want to pack and cary spares, and the unit, while light, is relatively large compared to L-Panel.

Lite Panel seems very robustly constructed other than the dimmer switch, which is flimsy and the tiny 1.3mm power plug which also seems fragile. Make up spare cables in different lengths and also one with a male cig lighter plug that can be plugged into a 110V AC to 12 volt 1000mA Class 2 transformer available from Radio Shack in Canada as Model SCP48-121000. This gives a light kit you can run off the wall or from your Z-1 batteries.

I am enjoying the DVINFO.net conversation.
Len
Len Gilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:48 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Len...can you please give me a direct link to this power adapter???
I was told that the Z1 battery cannot power the Lite panel so I need to buy the battery,charger and the all one lite kit instead of the camera kit...I would pay $795 for the camera kit but has no intention to pay $1300 for the battery and charger etc....
Thanks
Gabor
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #21
Regular Crew

So does anyone know if LED panels were shown around at NAB? These Lite Panels are too expensive for me at the moment however I am receptive to alternatives...
Chris Jothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #22
Tourist

Gabor,
Adapters for Sony InfoLithium batteries (one for style L for PDX170/170 and Z1, and another for the smaller style M used in PDX-10, etc) are made for Lorner Lapham Sales and Rental and info can be had from Brian Broz at brian@llsr.com I seem to remember paying a couple of hundred Canadian $ for the item. It is well built and the battery just snaps into it. With a 570 battery attached the whole unit can slip in a shirt pocket. Max output the batteries seem capable of seems around 1.5 amp. They have no problem handling the 0.6 amp draw of a light panel but are not reliable with a Marshall monitor.
Len
Len Gilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #23
Trustee

$350

This one seems like a low cost alternative - does anyone have experience with it?

http://www.idxtek.com/x3.htm

$350 buys it here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=365696&is=REG)

Also check this one - KinoFlo Kamio, which is a ring light, at $780:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=294090&is=REG
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #24
Regular Crew

How about this Frezzi ?? Is this a good choice?
http://www.adorama.com/FZ91030.html
Gabor
Old July 18th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #25

Lite Panel Kit - For a Beginner?

John,

I'm relatively new to DV. I just picked up an XL2 and plan to shoot mostly interview / testimonial style video. I'm currently on page 75 of your book (found out about it in this forum), and wanted to know if you thought a nice lite panel kit would cover the majority of needs for indoor interview / testimonial style videos?

In your book, you seemed to look forward to advancements in LED technology - so is it advanced enough yet?

I like the thought of lite panels for their coolness, size and ease of using with electricity. Especially the later, as I have to admit that I probably would have blown the power out in my house if I had not read your Chapter 3 (Volts, Amps and Watts). Power requirements are important to me, as it seems the less power requirements you have, the less you have to carry around and have more options on locations to shoot (with ease).

I'd really like to hear what you think. I will probably be purchasing a nice lighting kit within a week or two. Thanks again for writing such a great book.
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #26
Major Player

Not sure if it was just my camera, but the LitePanels light when mounted directly on the hot shoe plate made a buzzing sound when using the on-camera mic. LitePanels was baffled by this and sent me another one and it still did it. So, for on-camera use, I had to buy an Israeli arm which is a great addition anyways.

I posted this in another thread, but know that it doesn't put out a ton of light. I find that in certain situations (some daylight already in the room), that it does almost nothing unless you are very close to the subject. That said, LitePanels has announced a new light that is more of a spot light. Go with that one and use the diffusion if you need to soften.

I love the light, though, don't get me wrong. Great setup...

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1