Presentations In Hdtv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 28th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Presentations In Hdtv

I have a project where I will have to combine HDTV 1920X1080 footage with the footage recorded from a computer screen capture using Techsmith Camtasia Studio 2. I am limited by the video card of my TabletPC, which has natural full resolution of the screen 1400X1050. Would anyone recommend me a resolution to capture the screen with which will retain the HDTV aspect ration and possibly if resizing needed, without introducing the artifacts from recompression? The final HDTV footage will be edited in Premiere Pro 1.5.
When I recorded the screen with Camtasia using the full screen option, the final video size turned out to be 1400X1048, again my video card's resolution is 1400X1050.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org
Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking what resolution you should run your tabletPC other than native? Or are you asking at what resolution should you use to capture? If its the latter then I would capture at 1280x720 which retains the 16:9 ratio of HD.

You also might want to consider an external monitor (if possible on TabletPCs) as the video card maybe capable of higher resoultion that what the LCD panel can handle.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, Here is what I did. I created a new image in Photoshop that's from a preset, so it is and HDTV still image 1920X1080. Since my TablePC's video card horizontal resolution is only 1400, I resized that HDTV image in Photoshop to 1400 in width, the height dropped to 788. So, I fired Camtasia using 1400X788, did a little test drawing, and exported it to AVI. Opened Premiere with an HDTV 1920X1080 preset, imported the clip, in the preview window it looked great, dropped to timeline, and without rendering, went to export to MainConcept MPEG pro, using its HDTV 1080i preset. The final .m2t file looked great, no aspect ration distortion and no blurriness on photographic images from the capture, however, the windows menus and its text appeared a bit blurred as if text is doubled.

As far as your suggestion to use 1280x720 resolution, I want to use the biggest size the screen and the video card that my TabletPC allows.

I wonder if anyone has a better approach than the above tested. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would try to record it at 1920x1280 if at all possible...rent or borrow a 23" monitor if your video card will support it.
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sean,
But my TabletPC only supports 1400X1050. Camtasia give me an error when I try anything higher. It says I should stay within the limits of my video card. The thing is that I have to do it on my TabletPC since the ability to draw on screen is and advantage for this project.

Renat Zarbailov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1