DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   wow- that'll take the wind out of a forum , uh? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/42152-wow-thatll-take-wind-out-forum-uh.html)

Kurth Bousman March 31st, 2005 06:31 PM

wow- that'll take the wind out of a forum , uh?

I guessd everyone here read the part that said "100mbps@1080/24/30p ". That's what it was ! I was wondering why this forum didn't change all day. Can we believe it ? I mean isn't that too close to varicam territory ?

Aaron Koolen March 31st, 2005 06:54 PM

Without knowing much about the Varicam, I'd say sure the res + framerate might be close but the image quality, chip size, form factor, lens etc won't be as good and so the Varicam will obviously still have the high end dudes with multi million $ budgets renting/buying them.

Aaron

Steven White March 31st, 2005 08:16 PM

I wouldn't be able to afford the Panny anyway - even if it does end up great. The FX1 is still as good as I can hope for, and I've had it for over 5 months now.

I'm quite irritated by all these pre-announcements. There's no where near enough information to make a truly informed choice right now anyway.

Aaron Koolen March 31st, 2005 08:24 PM

None of us really know if we can afford it cause the price hasn't been announced. And then we have to probably factor in the high costs of P2. But nonetheless, it will be an interesting year. I better start saving...

Aaron

Shannon Rawls March 31st, 2005 10:02 PM

I could swing 7 grand for the camera IF i get P2 cards included that give me a MINIMUM of 2 hours of recording.

otherwise.....I wouldn't care if that camera cooks breakfast and washes my clothes on saturday mornings.....i ain't buying one. I would rather use Z1 or HD100 or rent F900.

HOWEVER....

if it's $6,999.99 w/P2 cards included....count me in! The 60p options is worth its weight in GOLD for Urban music videos and 1080p24 that is treated the way 24p is done natively now is great for the movie business.

Today we finished day 1 of a 5 day short, shooting in....*beat*.... CF24!!! We shot 2 scenes in 1 hour of footage on a single Sony HDV tape.....$11.80. *smile*

and it looks AWESOME!

Oh boy... NAB has some surprises for the CF24 folk.....man o man!!

- Shannon W. Rawls

Greg Jacobson April 1st, 2005 02:09 AM

I see some of the people who are still shooting SD gloating that they did not buy a FX1/Z1U. But since the Panasoinc answer won't ship tilll later this year I don't see why they are so happy. September/October is a LONG time to wait.

Aaron Koolen April 1st, 2005 06:18 AM

Absolutely, who knows what might be announced by then again :)

Aaron

Mark Grant April 1st, 2005 06:34 AM

Quote:

IF i get P2 cards included that give me a MINIMUM of 2 hours of recording.
You do realise that two hours of P2 cards alone would cost far more than $7,000?

Seriously, looks like a good camera, and I'd much rather shoot DVCPRO HD than HDV. But for the cost of a sane amount of P2 cards to record on, I could buy several Z1s... it's just no contest.

Neat toy for people with a ton of money to spend, but it makes little sense to me to release a $10k P2-based camera. Those of us who'll buy a $10k camera aren't going to pay thousands and thousands of dollars more for P2 cards, and the people who'll pay that for P2 cards can afford a better camera. I just don't see what market they're aiming for: surely there aren't _that_ many low-budget news camera people out there?

Christopher C. Murphy April 1st, 2005 07:16 AM

Shannon, I can just smell it...seriously, through the Internet I'm smelling it................you're beta testing something for CF24 on the Z1U.

You can't say it, but I know it!

Steven White April 1st, 2005 08:49 AM

Damnit! All the CF24 stuff from Shannon & DSE is pissing me off. I have a whole bunch of CF24 stuff to work with, and am out of the loop. Argh.

Oh well. I'm too busy to work on it anyway.

Steven Gotz April 1st, 2005 09:18 AM

I guess I need to shoot some CF24 just to see how it looks! There are still a lot of things I need to try out before I shoot in Greece. That's just one of them.

Kurth Bousman April 1st, 2005 09:29 AM

hey guys - this camera could , with a question mark , could have tape transport for dvcpro50. I'm on the cusp of getting the z1 but I can definitely wait , you know , just for curiousitys' sake. Pany already has the reader ( picture at dvxuser ) so for narrative work or music video stuff , one could probably get by on 3 cards - one is always being read - truthfully , I don't believe they'll give us a camera , even if it's only got one 1/3" ccd that does 100mbps/1080/24/30p. I'm just the ultimate skeptic but i can definitely wait . Of course ,from everything seen and heard , the z1 is still a work of art and hdv is here to stay somewhere between dv and dvcpro , and the fx1 is probably the best deal on the planet but panasonic is taking our breath away for the moment. thanks

Steven Gotz April 1st, 2005 09:31 AM

Only if I get a super zoom lens. My wife will be with me.

We will be going to that island, but somehow I can't imagine that my wife would be happy about me shooting nudes, and I don't think many of the attractive people will be happy when they see what will look to them to be a professional camera.

It isn't shooting the nudes that is the problem. It is the intense scrutiny she has seen me apply to my work while color correcting and editing. :-)