Using Z1 settings to emulate filters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 9th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using Z1 settings to emulate filters

I know DSE was trying to get people to share settings but I didn't see many replies. Can anyone give me a pointer in what settings I could use to make a picture profile that would emulate the effect of a Tiffen Warm Black Promist, Gold Diffusion/FX and the Glimmerglass.
I have done a bit of experimentation with skin detail, colour level etc but I have no experience with real filters and I need a good starting point.
Yes, I will buy the real filters, when I can find a cheap UK source.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #2
Trustee

Colvin.
I can't think of any camera that will give a built-in diffused effect such as a Pro-mist ( though I remember some studio cameras that had star effects and the like on a filter ring, but that's not relevant here)
The only settings that are tweakable are gamma and colour - everything else is filter or post-prod...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The diffusion isn't the important part of the look for me. I suppose I find most attractive the way the filter interacts with the normal colours. DSE gave me a recipe before that worked with low light and I was hoping for something similar with other settings. I have fiddled with the cinegamma etc but, as I said, I don't have the experience with real filters to know what tweak provides which effect. In the past I have preferred to do it all in post but until my pc catches up with HDV requirements, I am trying to move the work on getting a "look" to the time of production to avoid lengthy rendering and post work.
I was thinking that I could work with sharpness, colour and the other settings I don't yet understand to get the colour effect without sacrificing too much. I don't want to lose too much of the HDV resolution but I think there is room there to do some glamourising work for my customers. If I can't do it with the camera settings, I will just have to hurry up and find a good Tiffen dealer that stocks more than the UV and polariser.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Major Player

Filters are the way to go. I did some tests by reducing the sharpness/ detail and it just makes it look like a crappy camera.

I am going to post today my set of Camera Prests that I like.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1