Jam Timecode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 12th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Trustee

Jam Timecode?

Long shot here, but is it possible to jam timecode with 2 zx1's?
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Jam Timecode?

<<<-- Originally posted by Ethan Cooper : Long shot here, but is it possible to jam timecode with 2 zx1's? -->>>

JAM?? no, sorry. But you can SYNC them frame accurately.

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/freerun.php

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #3
Major Player

According to the information at the link:

"Use the wireless remote control to set and start Free Run time code in all cameras simultaneously. "

Just exactly how do you go about this? Using the supplied remote with my PD150, I could not find a way to start the timecode rolling, let alone set it and roll it. Is there something different about the remote supplied with the Z1?

The theory sounds great, but I would like to read some additional info: just exactly which buttons do you press?

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Ow. Well, this is what I get for making assumptions. I wrote that article for the Canon XL2 and adapted it for the Sony Z1, based on the mistaken *assumption* that one could indeed enter a timecode value into the camera using the remote commander. Now it looks like I'll have to yank that article. Thanks for bringing this to my attention,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris,

I hope you're joking....cause that article is right on point. The remote for the Z1 is apparently different then the PD150, because I have a "TC RESET" button right at the top, and I can start the free-run timecode rolling for two, three or four...hell TEN Z1's at the same precise time no problem.

leave that wonderful article right where it is! *smile* Just modify the "set and start" part to say "start" only. you set all cameras to 00:00:00:00 on the camera itself.

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

this article was one of the reasons that made me opt for Z1 instead o FX1
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #7
Major Player

OK, Shannnon, that's good news. Now, it would be interesting to see if that controller from the Z1 will start the timecode on the PD150/170 the same way. I know one poster here was interested in jamming a couple PD150s with a Z1. Maybe you can find a PD150 in Beverly Hills and test it?

Wayne
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

I haven't done this with the Z1, but I've done it with the DVX repeatedly. All you have to do is set the timecode preset manually, on each camera, but don't confirm it with that final press of the button. Save that for the remote.

So as long as the final "acceptance" push is do-able from the remote, that's all you need, so perhaps that will apply to the PD150?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Shannon for confirming this for me... I wrote that article "sight unseen." Probably not the smart thing to do, but at the time I knew I was right, you know that feeling? A dangerous way to be sometimes.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #10
Major Player

Barry wrote:
"So as long as the final "acceptance" push is do-able from the remote, that's all you need, so perhaps that will apply to the PD150?"

That's my point, Barry, that I have not been able to make that final "acceptance push" from a PD150. Unless someone knows something that I missed, which is entirely possible.

Wayne
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1