DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   How to Convert 1394 to DVI, VGA or Component (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/42954-how-convert-1394-dvi-vga-component.html)

Ben Hardy April 13th, 2005 06:07 AM

Is there a Firewire to Component (Stand Alone) Device Available

I just received my FX1 and Dell Monitor yesterday. The FX1 will record in HDV, and at the same time, send a SD 3.4 signal through the Y/C connector (allowing me to record on a DV deck that accepts standard size HDCAM cassettes).

Only thing, though, I'm unable to monitor the HDV signal using the component out on the FX1, because it defeats the Y/C output. Apparently these two outputs are combined and you can only use one or the other.

There is a solution, however. When I connect the firewire output of the FX1 to a JVC 3k D-VHS deck and then use the component out of the JVC, I'm able to monitor the HDV signal. It also has no effect on the recordable SD output.

Unfortunately, the D-VHS deck will not record the video from the FX1 without severe pixilation, but does pass through a clean signal for monitoring.

Is there a simpler, inexpensive device available that will convert the firewire signal to component so I can monitor without the D-VHS deck?

Thanks you-all,
Ben

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 13th, 2005 07:25 AM

Until you said "Inexpensive..." the Convergent Design HDV Connect is the right answer. It offers DVI out, component out, SDI out....but it's not cheap.
www.convergent-design.com if you're interested in chasing down more information.

Ben Hardy April 13th, 2005 07:52 AM

Thank you, Douglas for your response.

Actually, the JVC deck cost me $289. I'm trying to find something smaller, so I won't have to lug it around when I do on-location gigs.
Ben

Barry Green April 13th, 2005 12:14 PM

They've made inexpensive standalone devices like that for DV, 1394-to-component... don't know of any for HDV 1394-to-component...

Ben Hardy April 14th, 2005 07:18 AM

How to Convert 1394 to DVI, VGA or Component

ADDENDUM TO A PREVIOUS POST:

I've just received a Dell W-1900 Monitor. It has DVI, VGA and Component Inputs. I'm trying to convert the 1394 output of a FX1 to one of these inputs, so I can use the monitor. I'm unable to use the "component out" of the FX1, as I'm recording a SD signal through the Y/C connector.

Is there any converter box under $500 that will do the job?
Thanks,
Ben

Shannon Rawls April 14th, 2005 08:18 AM

http://www.videoguys.com/dac.html

why not just split the y/c?

- shannon W. Rawls

Boyd Ostroff April 14th, 2005 08:41 AM

Assuming that the firewire output is SD?...

You could use a DVD recorder with firewire input and component output. I do this with a Sony RDR-GX7 and it works very well. DVD recorders are getting a lot cheaper, so I think you can do this for $500 and have the recorder as a bonus.

Ben Hardy April 14th, 2005 09:14 AM

Hi Shannon,
Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid that particular unit would not pass the (1394) HDV signal through from the FX1 to the monitor, without reducing the video to SD NTSC.
I need to monitor the HDV video.

Thanks again for your response,
Ben

Dave Elston April 14th, 2005 09:41 AM

Why not use the above solution in reverse...

ie. pass an SD Firewire signal thru the DVD-recorder to convert it to the Y/C and then you're free to use the (HD) component out straight from FX1 to monitor.

I think this should be possible ... anyone confirm this ?

Of course, the DVD-recorder could be substituted with a small mini-DV camcorder set to DV-in - a very portable option - which also allows you to backup your shoot (at SD quality and PCM audio).

Ben Hardy April 14th, 2005 09:41 AM

Hi Boyd,
Thanks for your reply.

Actually, the 1394 out from the FX1 is HDV. I can use a JVC D-VHS recorder's 1394 input and take the output from its' component out, to the monitor, and get HDV video.

I'm just trying to avoid lugging around the JVC when I shoot on-location. If I can find something smaller, that would be so much easier.

Thanks again for your response,
Ben

Ben Hardy April 14th, 2005 01:09 PM

Hi Dave,
That's an excellent suggestion!

I'll have access tomorrow to and old Sony device that accepts DV 4 pin 1394 IN, and converts to S-VHS OUT. The manual of the FX1 says you can output 1394 in SD. If I can keep the aspect ratio at 4.3, I'll be in business.

Thanks to all you guys for helping me. This Forum's the BEST!
Ben