How to Convert 1394 to DVI, VGA or Component at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 13th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there a Firewire to Component (Stand Alone) Device Available

I just received my FX1 and Dell Monitor yesterday. The FX1 will record in HDV, and at the same time, send a SD 3.4 signal through the Y/C connector (allowing me to record on a DV deck that accepts standard size HDCAM cassettes).

Only thing, though, I'm unable to monitor the HDV signal using the component out on the FX1, because it defeats the Y/C output. Apparently these two outputs are combined and you can only use one or the other.

There is a solution, however. When I connect the firewire output of the FX1 to a JVC 3k D-VHS deck and then use the component out of the JVC, I'm able to monitor the HDV signal. It also has no effect on the recordable SD output.

Unfortunately, the D-VHS deck will not record the video from the FX1 without severe pixilation, but does pass through a clean signal for monitoring.

Is there a simpler, inexpensive device available that will convert the firewire signal to component so I can monitor without the D-VHS deck?

Thanks you-all,
Ben
Ben Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #2

Until you said "Inexpensive..." the Convergent Design HDV Connect is the right answer. It offers DVI out, component out, SDI out....but it's not cheap.
www.convergent-design.com if you're interested in chasing down more information.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you, Douglas for your response.

Actually, the JVC deck cost me $289. I'm trying to find something smaller, so I won't have to lug it around when I do on-location gigs.
Ben
Old April 13th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

They've made inexpensive standalone devices like that for DV, 1394-to-component... don't know of any for HDV 1394-to-component...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How to Convert 1394 to DVI, VGA or Component

ADDENDUM TO A PREVIOUS POST:

I've just received a Dell W-1900 Monitor. It has DVI, VGA and Component Inputs. I'm trying to convert the 1394 output of a FX1 to one of these inputs, so I can use the monitor. I'm unable to use the "component out" of the FX1, as I'm recording a SD signal through the Y/C connector.

Is there any converter box under $500 that will do the job?
Thanks,
Ben
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #6
Major Player

http://www.videoguys.com/dac.html

why not just split the y/c?

- shannon W. Rawls
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #7
Wrangler

Assuming that the firewire output is SD?...

You could use a DVD recorder with firewire input and component output. I do this with a Sony RDR-GX7 and it works very well. DVD recorders are getting a lot cheaper, so I think you can do this for $500 and have the recorder as a bonus.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Shannon,
Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid that particular unit would not pass the (1394) HDV signal through from the FX1 to the monitor, without reducing the video to SD NTSC.
I need to monitor the HDV video.

Thanks again for your response,
Ben
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Why not use the above solution in reverse...

ie. pass an SD Firewire signal thru the DVD-recorder to convert it to the Y/C and then you're free to use the (HD) component out straight from FX1 to monitor.

I think this should be possible ... anyone confirm this ?

Of course, the DVD-recorder could be substituted with a small mini-DV camcorder set to DV-in - a very portable option - which also allows you to backup your shoot (at SD quality and PCM audio).

Dave - Broader Pictures
Dave Elston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd,
Thanks for your reply.

Actually, the 1394 out from the FX1 is HDV. I can use a JVC D-VHS recorder's 1394 input and take the output from its' component out, to the monitor, and get HDV video.

I'm just trying to avoid lugging around the JVC when I shoot on-location. If I can find something smaller, that would be so much easier.

Thanks again for your response,
Ben
Old April 14th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Dave,
That's an excellent suggestion!

I'll have access tomorrow to and old Sony device that accepts DV 4 pin 1394 IN, and converts to S-VHS OUT. The manual of the FX1 says you can output 1394 in SD. If I can keep the aspect ratio at 4.3, I'll be in business.

Thanks to all you guys for helping me. This Forum's the BEST!
Ben
Ben Hardy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1