DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Audio Problems with the FX1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/43576-audio-problems-fx1.html)

Kevin Walton April 25th, 2005 10:39 PM

Audio Problems with the FX1?

Hi people.
I'm tossing up over whether I should buy the PD170 or the FX1 and I've read everything in this thread which has been helpful, but I've also read in reviews about certain problems with the FX1, mainly with audio.

Apparently, the specs on the FX1 say the audio output is 2.5V-3.0V but it's been tested and found that it's actually only 1.8V-2.0V, so the built in mic that is asking for 2.0V doesn't work properly and has clicks and distortions, etc, in the audio, especially when zooming, etc.
Also, the mic apparently picks up every little movement of the users hand on the outside casing of the camera, causing a lot of noise.

Is there anyone here who has bought the FX1 and is able to verify this information?

Can anyone also tell me how good the audio is with the mic that comes standard with the PD170?

I don't have a lot of money to spend on extra accessories such as Mic's, so I need the product that comes with the best accessories straight out of the box.

I was right on the verge of going with the FX1 until I read this stuff about the audio because I quite like the idea of being able to film in native widescreen HDV, even if the low-light performance isn't as good as the PD170, but I think good quality 4:3 video with good sound is probably preferable over excellent 16:9 video with crappy audio.

Augusto Manuel April 26th, 2005 02:12 PM

If you do not have the money to buy equipment you need to use with your camera, then get the PD170. It comes with an external mic and a high quality wide angle adapter.

You should not expect to come out with high quality if you are only buying a camera and no extra support equipment. That is not the way to go if you are serious about production. It does not make any sense unless you are using the camera strictly as an amateur to record family outings, your kids, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Walton
Hi people.
I'm tossing up over whether I should buy the PD170 or the FX1 and I've read everything in this thread which has been helpful, but I've also read in reviews about certain problems with the FX1, mainly with audio.

Apparently, the specs on the FX1 say the audio output is 2.5V-3.0V but it's been tested and found that it's actually only 1.8V-2.0V, so the built in mic that is asking for 2.0V doesn't work properly and has clicks and distortions, etc, in the audio, especially when zooming, etc.
Also, the mic apparently picks up every little movement of the users hand on the outside casing of the camera, causing a lot of noise.

Is there anyone here who has bought the FX1 and is able to verify this information?

Can anyone also tell me how good the audio is with the mic that comes standard with the PD170?

I don't have a lot of money to spend on extra accessories such as Mic's, so I need the product that comes with the best accessories straight out of the box.

I was right on the verge of going with the FX1 until I read this stuff about the audio because I quite like the idea of being able to film in native widescreen HDV, even if the low-light performance isn't as good as the PD170, but I think good quality 4:3 video with good sound is probably preferable over excellent 16:9 video with crappy audio.

Boyd Ostroff April 26th, 2005 02:56 PM

Kevin, you started another thread with a duplicate of the same message you posted here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=42066&page=3.

We don't allow cross-posting at DVinfo because it ends up as a tangled mess between multiple threads. Please direct your comments to the existing thread which already has several responses.

Welcome to DVinfo, and thanks for your cooperation!