DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX/Z1 rated 9 Lux at telephoto setting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/43657-fx-z1-rated-9-lux-telephoto-setting.html)

Radek Svoboda April 27th, 2005 09:56 AM

FX/Z1 rated 9 Lux at telephoto setting

Here's explanation of 6 Lux Japanese rating. The camera rated 3 lux at F1.6. End telephoto range is F2.8, which means about 9 Lux. You get 6 Lux average. This explains why Canon and other makers have higher lux numbers in Japan. The Japanese ratings are lot more honest.

Did anyone check F-stops/lux ratings at various focal lengths?

Steve Mullen April 27th, 2005 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek Svoboda
Here's explanation of 6 Lux Japanese rating. The camera rated 3 lux at F1.6. End telephoto range is F2.8, which means about 9 Lux. You get 6 Lux average. This explains why Canon and other makers have higher lux numbers in Japan. The Japanese ratings are lot more honest.

I believe the difference is that the Japanses require a signal level of 100IRE (at max gain) while the USA requires a signal level of 50IRE (at max gain).

In both cases, the WIDE setting is used.

A far more professional spec is lux at F-stop with NO gain. I believe this is a 100IRE level.

Steven White April 27th, 2005 06:14 PM

Without a signal-to-noise ratio, I fail to see how a lux rating is relevent. Does noise enter into the calculation or not?

-Steve

Augusto Manuel April 27th, 2005 10:19 PM

You cannot compare lux ratings between manufacturers. At this point there is no standard in lux rating comparisons between each other. Sony's lux is different from Panasonic or Canon lux . To make clear: 1 Sony lux does not equal 1 Canon lux or 1 Panasonic lux. They are all different. You can compare the lux rating of cameras within Sony but that's it.

One way to compare cameras is by the relevance of the f-stops and the footcandles associated with a particular f stop, let's say f/11 at 2,000 footcandles. But dont make the assumption that lux rating is standardized. It is not !!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek Svoboda

Did anyone check F-stops/lux ratings at various focal lengths?

Chris Hurd April 27th, 2005 10:45 PM

Augusto is quite right. The way the manufacturers have treated lux ratings so differently, it's a spec you can forget. Besides, when in doubt, just add light.

For Steve M. -- great to see you at NAB! Hope to run into you again on your own turf in July for DV Expo East.

Augusto Manuel April 27th, 2005 11:18 PM

Thanks, Chris. However, I reread Radek's posting and realized he was aware of the lux rating discrepancies between manufacturers. My apologies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Augusto is quite right. The way the manufacturers have treated lux ratings so differently, it's a spec you can forget. Besides, when in doubt, just add light.

For Steve M. -- great to see you at NAB! Hope to run into you again on your own turf in July for DV Expo East.