Fx1/Z1 Latency at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 29th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #1
New Boot

Fx1/Z1 Latency

How is everyone handling the 3-5 delay from standby to record?
In a documentary setting it makes me nervous.
I'm happy to run the tape, but does anyone have any secret setting or simple revelation that might be instructive?

Thanks,

Whit
Whit Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Let me explain something. The delay does not happen from 'stand by to record' but from 'save mode to record' not only in the Z1 but in all cameras.

Why is it important to recognize this? Because most professional cameras have two switches: SAVE MODE and STAND BY MODE. In SAVE MODE the camera parks its heads to save them from excessive tear and wear after each recording pause. In STAND BY MODE, pressing the record button the response is more immediate. However in STAND BY MODE, the camera can still automatically enter the SAVE MODE after being idle for a few minutes also. (You can program this in your camera, not in the Z1 unfortunately).

It is in the STAND BY MODE that the camera enters record mode much faster. In SAVE MODE the camera can take several seconds because the camera head is disengaged from the tape.

The Z1 does not have these 2 switches, one for SAVE and one for STAND BY like most professional cameras. So when the camera is in pause recording for a few minutes then it enters SAVE MODE automatically to save its heads from tear and wear. So the problem arises only when the Z1 has entered the SAVE MODE, and not the STAND BY mode.

So you do not need to be concerned of this if the Z1 is in STAND BY mode because the pause to record is quite faster in this mode.

Let's say you will be faced with situations where the camera will be entering SAVE MODE many times because you will be pausing too long in between recordings. In this case Sony makes a partial solution for this. Enable the QUICK RECORDING MODE in the menu of the Z1.

You have to be careful if you are going to be using the QUICK MODE because the camera will lose TC continuity when the camera resumes recording. Once quick solution for this is to black prestripe your tape prior to your shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whit Wales
How is everyone handling the 3-5 delay from standby to record?
In a documentary setting it makes me nervous.
I'm happy to run the tape, but does anyone have any secret setting or simple revelation that might be instructive?

Thanks,

Whit
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Augusto!
Your explanation was extremely helpful.

Whit Wales
Whit Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Major Player

To my knowledge pre-blacking a DV tape does not help because it passes over the erase head before recording. If I need to stay "ready" I roll the camera for a few seconds every few minutes which keeps the heads spinning for a quick start if need be.

George
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Please re-read my previous post regarding this. I was not saying that pre striping a DV tape will help in regards with making a faster recording. All I was saying is that pre striping a DV tape will help making the TC (Time Code) continuous in case of a TC glitch. However, your suggestion on rolling for a few seconds every few minutes to keep the camera in stand-by mode and avoiding to go in save mode is quite valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Griswold
To my knowledge pre-blacking a DV tape does not help because it passes over the erase head before recording. If I need to stay "ready" I roll the camera for a few seconds every few minutes which keeps the heads spinning for a quick start if need be.

George
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:29 PM   #6
Contributor

Even my DSR500 will go into the save mode after a long time of just sitting there. It's not an issue. If you're shooting some event that's going to happen--for example, I can think of one situation I shot where I needed to start shooting an airplane when it came over the horizon to be sure to get the parachutists jumping out. After about 15 minutes of watching and waiting, the save mode would happen...I just hit record and the camera would go to standby, record a couple of seconds, and I'd stop it and be ready.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So my Betacam PVW-D50. However, you can program the amount the camera can seat on stand by before it goes into save mode. Well, at least mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Even my DSR500 will go into the save mode after a long time of just sitting there. It's not an issue. If you're shooting some event that's going to happen--for example, I can think of one situation I shot where I needed to start shooting an airplane when it came over the horizon to be sure to get the parachutists jumping out. After about 15 minutes of watching and waiting, the save mode would happen...I just hit record and the camera would go to standby, record a couple of seconds, and I'd stop it and be ready.
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1