DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Downconvert via Firewire with timecode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/43818-downconvert-via-firewire-timecode.html)

Daniel Weber April 30th, 2005 01:01 PM

Downconvert via Firewire with timecode

I am trying to downconvert via the Z1 to a DVCAM deck (DSR-20).

I can't get the timecode to copy across to the DVCAM deck. This would be nice for when I want to re-edit my footage as HDV instead of DVCAM like I will be doing at first.

Has anyone been able to downconvert/clone footage to a DVCAM deck from the Z1 via firewire?

Thanks,

Dan Weber

Shannon Rawls April 30th, 2005 09:55 PM

only certain decks can slave timecode, and i don't think the dsr-20 is one of them.

For you, the only way to do what you want is to capture your downconverted footage to a hard-drive rather then a dv tape. This way, you will be timecode accurate for making a HD master.

I recommend "GEARSHIFT" from www.vasst.com to do this. I will post a personal review on it later.

- ShannonRawls.com

Douglas Spotted Eagle April 30th, 2005 10:01 PM

Shannon, we'll look forward to the review! BTW, there is a new build of Gearshift up there, and we'll have yet one more, smaller improvement build up in the next 48 hours.

Daniel Weber May 1st, 2005 04:38 AM

Downconvert

Well I am on a Mac, so the VASST software is not an option.

It is hard to believe that timecode can't be copied on a clone tape.

Is this because of the HDV format? I know that some software programs have had a hard time capturing the timecode off of HDV tapes.

Thanks,

Dan Weber

Shannon Rawls May 1st, 2005 09:35 AM

No, it's not cause of Downconverted HDV. You simply wouldn't be able to do this with a DSR-20 even if you tried it with a regular old minidv camcorder. The timecode is always going to be out-of-sync when hitting play on the camera and record on the deck (unless your superman). The DSR-20 only syncs timecode if you use an external sync to jam the deck. And even then, it only works on the large DV tapes, and not the small minidv ones (but i'm not sure). Unfortunately the lowest totem-pole MiniDV camera that gives external sync is the JVC DV500. Anything below that, your SOL.

However, there are some decks out there, that will read the incoming timecode and jam-sync itself to that and begin writing on the new tape using the incoming numbers without an external BNC sync. You almost always loose the first few frames with these decks, but for me, when I did it, it was OK because my first 300 frames are always nothing but colorbars anyhow. Remember, NEVER EVER record important footage at the very beginning of a Tape (minidv, dvcam, vhs, cassette, lol)

No software programs on earth have a problem with HDV Downconverted to DV. It's real DV with real SMPTE timecode. It is the HD footage that some have a problem with, not downconverted DV. You're downconverting aren't you? If so, then you can use any FireWire DV edit-capable computer to get accurate timecode for proxy editing to eventually make an HDV/HDCAM master.

So again, I suggest you simply capture your footage with FCP2/3/4/HD/5, FCPE/HD or maybe even iMovie 2/3/4/5HD, and you can make a timecode accurate proxy DVCAM file. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

Khoi Pham May 3rd, 2005 10:48 PM

To copy timecode on the DSR-20 you will need to use the DUP button instead of the usual Record button, this is how I copy timecode of my VX2000 to it, although I have not try it with the Z1.

Shannon Rawls May 4th, 2005 05:17 AM

Well there you have it. I just learned something new. Give that a whirl and let us all know.

thanks Khoi!

- ShannonRawls.com

Filip Kovcin May 4th, 2005 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
Well there you have it. I just learned something new. Give that a whirl and let us all know.

shannon,
can you share with us your findings with that issue - with TC via firewire and dubbing.

thank you.

p.s. anyone knows will this work with sony's dsr 1500p recorder/player?

thank you,

filip