DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   A thanks to all of you beta testers-my Z1 is on the truck! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/43929-thanks-all-you-beta-testers-my-z1-truck.html)

Kurth Bousman May 2nd, 2005 01:38 PM

A thanks to all of you beta testers-my Z1 is on the truck!

I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me make up my mind and go with the z1 over the fx1 . First Chris , Boyd , Douglas , Shannon , Chris , & the list is much longer but you get the idea. I couldn't have made such a qualified decision w/o Dvinfo. I would have liked to have had the pany and jvc in the mix but the fx1 has been out for what , eight months ? That would put the wait well over a year for another option ,including the time to let the dust settle, and I've got alot of blank tapes who are crying every night to be itched. I think the panasonic hdx is the future but before I buy another camera I hope to see some more competition for the hdx from canon or sony. And the z1 should be more than enough to last until then. Ok guys - thanks again and I'll give a first impression in a week or so. Kurth

Boyd Ostroff May 2nd, 2005 03:36 PM

Congrats Kurth! Be sure to let us know how it works out.

Shannon Rawls May 2nd, 2005 05:32 PM

what's funny is....

Your new Z1....that hasn't even arrived at your house yet..... Will have paid for itself (in cash or usage) before anything else hits the shelves.

now THAT is what's funny.

- ShannonRawls.com

Bill Pryor May 2nd, 2005 06:24 PM

Yep, and the Z1 has been out long enough so we would have heard about any serious reliability issues. The other two are only prototypes at this time. I don't think you can go wrong with this purchase, from what I've seen of the footage from the Z1.

Kurth Bousman May 2nd, 2005 08:04 PM

Well, that's what I'm hoping for , or at least paid for itself in enjoyment. I'm still thinking about a jbk followfocus & to round things off, I'll retire my bogus bogen for a cartoni Action Pro and a century optics .6 WA. My thoughts about matteboxes is .....sxxxw 'em. Maybe I'll upgrade my software instead with that $1500( fcp and 55mm). And it looks like a new powermac is the necessary route for hd archiving at the moment. Man , this cost alot of money. One thing I've learned with age -- my interests were alot cheaper when I was young !!

Steven Gotz May 2nd, 2005 08:09 PM

You know what they say: "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!".

Augusto Manuel May 2nd, 2005 08:38 PM

ANd the size ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
You know what they say: "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!".

George Griswold May 3rd, 2005 05:42 AM

Matt Box

Three years ago I bought a Cavision Matt box for my HL-57 Ikegami, and last month I bought an adapter bracket and follow focus control for my Z1. As you build your system you may want to consider the Cavision products since they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of Chroziel. They all do the same thing, the Cavision is not quite as sexy as Chroziel, but very robust and functional. Enjoy your camera Kurth, it is a real champ.

George

Kurth Bousman May 3rd, 2005 08:49 AM

thanks guys-
George - I've looked at the cavision - even requested a price form - I believe the cavision is only about $100 cheaper than the jbk ( I never considered the chroziel )The cavision stuff is made in china. Now I'm not a anti-globalist but , chinese stuff , on the whole , is crap so it's good to hear some positive feedback. How much did you pay for the base plate and follow focus at cavision ? Man , they( cavision ) were so like pulling teeth to send me the price form , literally I had to threaten to buy from a competitor, that I researched the jbk stuff in the waiting and liked it more. I still haven't totally decided but...
First I want to wait and see how the shot setup works. From what I've read , it's like having a focus puller. OK - thanks again- Kurth

Kurth Bousman May 3rd, 2005 08:57 AM

<<<You know what they say: "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!".>>>
Steven , I haven't heard that one since I was working in Garland - one year , six months, nineteen days and six hours , in 1974. The things men do for money , it's scary. That was my first job! take care- Kurth

George Griswold May 3rd, 2005 10:03 AM

Kurth,

The sales department is a real chore... I have had the same experience with buying products, it is like pulling teeth. I don't remember what I paid for the follow focus, but it was the way to go since I already had the Matt Box and rails. The follow focus works great, and has interchanglable gears for Fuji and Cannon broadcast lenses. I can use it on all my cameras.

George