DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX-1 Monitoring (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/44437-fx-1-monitoring.html)

Betsy Moore May 11th, 2005 06:01 PM

FX-1 Monitoring

What would be the most direct way to monitor a PAL Fx-1's image on a US High Definition TV? Would you have to go through a computer or does NTSC/PAL conflicts not apply with new HD TVs?

Barry Green May 11th, 2005 06:14 PM

Are you asking specifically about the high-def image, regardless of PAL/NTSC?

Let me put it a different way -- are you asking if someone can display a 1080/50i image on a US HDTV? Because PAL and NTSC don't apply to high-def, but the frame rate still does.

If so, that's an interesting question. My TV says it's ATSC compliant (which would imply 24p/30p/60i/60p) but in the specifications, the HDMI input says 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i. Doesn't list scan rates, but also doesn't rule any out.

I think the easiest way to verify would be for someone with a Z1 and an HDTV to just put their Z1 in 1080/50i mode and plug it into the TV. Even if it works, it may just work on some but not all HDTVs.

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 11th, 2005 06:20 PM

I can tell you that putting a Z1 in 50i mode and connecting to a component in on an HDTV (downscaled) does display. Every few minutes, I get a small "blip" that isn't consistent in temporal measurement. but it does work. I don't know about going the other way, my CRT monitor doesn't have the HD card in it.

Betsy Moore May 11th, 2005 06:45 PM

Douglas, if the camera is a PAL camera, an FX1-E, that wouldn't make any difference on a US HD monitor?

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 11th, 2005 07:02 PM

Like Barry mentioned, there is no PAL in HD. There is only a frame rate difference. 50i vs 60i. I can't comment on the FX1, I don't have one, but assume it's the same as the Z1 when it comes to output, if it's a 50i unit. The Z1 can switch between 50i and 60i.
I've got a crappy lil JVC that I use to test signals with until I can purchase a full resolution LCD, it's ATSC compliant.

Steve Crisdale May 11th, 2005 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
What would be the most direct way to monitor a PAL Fx-1's image on a US High Definition TV? Would you have to go through a computer or does NTSC/PAL conflicts not apply with new HD TVs?

I have a Sharp Aquos 83cm LCD HDTV and the video from both my FX-1e PAL, and JVC HD10u NTSC camcorders plays correctly through the component connection.

I also have a Roku Photobridge 1000 HD media player, which unfortunately doesn't 'like' PAL material at this point, but plays HD NTSC encoded clips perfectly from my PC's to the Aquos via wired network.

I gather that the majority of newer HDTVs are capable of handling the various frame rates - just check to see that the HDTV set you're looking at is a 'multi-scan' unit.

There's no advantage to going to a computer before viewing on a HDTV... unless of course you want to edit your material first. For monitoring the stuff while you're shooting it... you may want to consider something a bit smaller than lugging around a large screen HDTV. Then again there are some new LCD HDTV panels that are light, and very affordable that you could use as a production monitor.

BTW, I played a NTSC HD-10u mini-DV tape to the HDTV in the PAL FX-1e and it worked fine!! I was concerned that the 720p 30fps NTSC wouldn't run in the 1080i 50fps PAL camcorder. Haven't tried it the other way around!!

Betsy Moore May 12th, 2005 12:56 AM

"BTW, I played a NTSC HD-10u mini-DV tape to the HDTV in the PAL FX-1e and it worked fine!! I was concerned that the 720p 30fps NTSC wouldn't run in the 1080i 50fps PAL camcorder. Haven't tried it the other way around!!"

You're kidding! I didn't even try playing my old HD1 footage on my FX1E! That's amazing:) I'm going to try that right now--but if it ruins my beautiful camera I'll put a spell on you:)

Barry Green May 12th, 2005 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
You're kidding! I didn't even try playing my old HD1 footage on my FX1E! That's amazing:) I'm going to try that right now--but if it ruins my beautiful camera I'll put a spell on you:)

It'll work for analog output, but doesn't work for firewire output. You can't digitize HD1 (or HD10 or HD100) tapes from the Sony, but you can watch 'em on TV.