Editing w/ FCPHD and HVR-Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #1
New Boot

Editing w/ FCPHD and HVR-Z1

Just thought I would share this newbie nightmare with you all. I did my first Z1 shoot this weekend and had to downconvert the HDV to DV for editingin FCPHD. 16:9 downconvert choices in the Z1 were "squeeze", "letterbox" and edge crop. I chose letterbox.

When I captured the footage, FCPHD thought the clips were anamorphic (see anamorphic column in browser) and the image I got squished the people in the shot so they looked rather fat. My end delivery was a DVD that would be seen on a 4:3 consumer TV.

Here was the workflow that worked: (many thanks to hanumang at Apple discussions)

1. Take your original 4:3 sequence, and alter the clips (to non-anamorphic) if you haven't done that already. Then...
2. Select All Clips (Command-A)
3. Remove Attributes (Option-Command-V)
4. Select the Distort property (on the left-hand side, under Video), click OK

I'm not sure what was happening here, but it was a quick fix for a tight deadline.
I know FCP5 will have native HDV real-time editing so I am not stuck with this workflow forever, but this first experience with 16:9 and the ZR1 kept me up for two nights into the wee hours of the morning.

Anybody who is working with FCPHD and the ZR1 should post, because the workflow is not very clear.

P.S. When all was said and done...the footage DID look gorgeous on DVD!!
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sounds like a firmware bug: the camera is presumably still setting the 'anamorphic' bit even when letterboxing.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Cate (from a fellow New Jerseyan :-) But please note that we don't allow cross-posting in the forums here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/announcem...ouncementid=23

Further responses should be directed to the other copy of this thread here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44466
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1